Visual Basic to Delphi - Yes or No?

2006-01-06 08:02:36 PM
delphi215
Hello,
As soon as I became aware that Microsoft was dropping support for
Win32 VB, me and some other developers started developing a tool
to fully migrate VB6 applications to Delphi. Why migrating?
Win32 VB(Visual Basic) has been left in the dust, no more support, no more
improvement, no more future.
Why to Delphi? Well, in my humble opinion Object Pascal is the language that most resembles VB(Visual Basic) is terms of supported features, ease of use and legibility. Delphi gets better everyday, is more powerfull, more efficient and more productive.
We first tried some tools available in the marked that claimed to help converting VB6 apps to Delphi but found them useless for migrating real-world apps. Why? None of them migrated common VB(Visual Basic) apps like ActiveX DLLs or EXEs (Automation class modules), didn't convert VB(Visual Basic) class/form events to Delphi equivalents, some language features were incorrectly implemented (behaving differently in Delphi), didn't support interfaces in the generated Delphi classes, etc.
We were looking for someone, preferable from Borland, to advice us by providing some strategic advise as to how to migrate/implement/map certain VB(Visual Basic) features to Delphi. We emailed two guys that directly work in Delphi at Borland and none of them replied and a third guy advised to contact Developer Support directly.
Do you guys think that Borland is willing to provide this kind of
advice to us?
Do you think VB(Visual Basic) programmers are willing to migrate their apps to Dephi?
Concluding, do you think this tool is worth to keep working on?
PD: We'd like to hear from Borland itself.
Regards!

Re:Visual Basic to Delphi - Yes or No?

Brian Moelk writes:
CodeRush had some interesting ideas, but I found it to be way too
unstable to use on a consistent basis. FMPOV, Delphi 7 + CodeRush was more
unstable than D2005.
Strongly agreed. It wasn't just that it caused a lot of errors, it
also had a huge number of IMHO ill-though-out "features" like mucking
around with the clipboard, and that turning off these "features" didn't
always seem to stick.
Borland newsgroup denizen Sergio Gonzalez has a new CD of
Irish music out, and it is good: tinyurl.com/7hgfr

Re:Visual Basic to Delphi - Yes or No?

I'm aware that I will(and already have!) encounter lots of
subtleties that will make 100% automated conversion
almost impossible but most of the time it'll work fine.
In my own experience with existing VB->Delphi tools, they don't
work because:
1. Their developers don't really understand VB. Therefore they
incorrectly map/translate certain features to Delphi.
2. They don't support many essential VB(Visual Basic) features like Automation, interface implementation support, etc. Therefore, the converted program is totally useless.

Re:Visual Basic to Delphi - Yes or No?

Do you guys think that Borland is willing to provide this kind of
advice to us?
Not sure; Dan Barclay had posted quite a bit about VB->Delphi conversion in
the past. From what I gathered, Borland seems somewhat interested, but
isn't in a position or doesn't have the resources to really go after the
VB-classic market.
Do you think VB(Visual Basic) programmers are willing to migrate their apps to Dephi?
Certainly some are, but there will always be those VB(Visual Basic) developers that are
either MS-centric or not willing to move away from VB(Visual Basic) syntax, etc.
Concluding, do you think this tool is worth to keep working on?
I'm certain that the community here would definitely encourage you to
continue development. Borland would be silly not to encourage development
of this as well. The level of active support you get from Borland is the
real question, and I suspect it won't be that much.
Ultimately you must assess the "worth" of such a project.
PD: We'd like to hear from Borland itself.
I'd get in contact with Dan Barclay if you can, and ask him what he thinks.
Have a dialog with Kaster and Anders O. via email or whatever. you will get a
general feeling that way.

Re:Visual Basic to Delphi - Yes or No?

Just take a look at EagleSoft's (now DevEx's) CodeRush (arguably the best
Delphi add-in ever), and now firmly in the VS camp. [...]
CodeRush had some interesting ideas, but I found it to be way too unstable
to use on a consistent basis. FMPOV, Delphi 7 + CodeRush was more unstable than
D2005.
As far as why companies choose to move into different markets, as outsiders
we are not privvy to all of the reasons why. To place all of the "blame" on
Borland, IMO is probably a very ignorant conclusion.
The question is, without Borland, do you have the marketing muscle to
reach
those VB(Visual Basic) users?
That might not be the relevant question at all for the OP. AFAICS, it's
about "worth" in general, which is different for different people. Most of
the specific questions raised were about technical/strategic advice from
Borland, not marketing.

Re:Visual Basic to Delphi - Yes or No?

You must be a Magician! ;)

Re:Visual Basic to Delphi - Yes or No?

"Brian Moelk" wrote

CodeRush had some interesting ideas, but I found it to be way
too unstable to use on a consistent basis.
Same here. We do have a developer that uses Castalia
(www.twodesk.com/castalia/index.html) now, but no CodeRush advocates
at all.
bobD

Re:Visual Basic to Delphi - Yes or No?

"Brian Moelk" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>Just take a look at EagleSoft's (now DevEx's) CodeRush (arguably the best
>Delphi add-in ever), and now firmly in the VS camp. [...]

CodeRush had some interesting ideas, but I found it to be way too unstable
to use on a consistent basis. FMPOV, Delphi 7 + CodeRush was more unstable than
D2005.
My experience too. I bought CR for D5, and it so totally hosed my D5
installation that I had to uninstall Delphi and reinstall it. Needless to
say, I didn't reinstall CR with it.
Van Swofford
Tybee Jet Corp.

Re:Visual Basic to Delphi - Yes or No?

"Placatan Bugulandia" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Do you think VB(Visual Basic) programmers are willing to migrate their apps to Dephi?
Some, yes.
Concluding, do you think this tool is worth to keep working on?
In my view documentation is more useful than a porting tool. I have never had
good experience with porting tools. Even when they nearly work, they don't
perform a useful task since the app design will be sub-optimal for the new
language/class library. I think there is some value in tools like the
"Upgrade Visual Basic 6 code" utility in Visual Studio 2005, which converts
a VB(Visual Basic) 6 routine to a VB(Visual Basic) .NET routine. I don't think these things work well
beyond a single procedure.
Tim
IT Support: too much kick and hope
www.itwriting.com/blog/

Re:Visual Basic to Delphi - Yes or No?

>In my view documentation is more useful than a porting tool.
This would be very usefull to make VB(Visual Basic) developers familiar with
the world of Delphi, VCL, etc, and how to do in Delphi all
the things they used to do in VB. And doing it better!
However, the value of a convertion tool that works is still
unparalleled.

Re:Visual Basic to Delphi - Yes or No?

Would you guys please get back on the thread's subject matter?
Start another thread to discuss, Coderush, D2006, Castalia, etc..
Thanks ahead!

Re:Visual Basic to Delphi - Yes or No?

"Laping Apara" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Well, while I think having a VB-to-Delphi migration kit out-of-the-box
would be a terribly good proposition, I wouldn't really hold my breath,
given past Borland actions...

Just take a look at EagleSoft's (now DevEx's) CodeRush (arguably the best
Delphi add-in ever), and now firmly in the VS camp. I am still running
Delphi 7 due to the lack of CRush support in more recent IDEs, and will
probably stay there until I am ready to jump to VS.NET (I have too many
useful plugins that can not be migrated back to OTAPI)
Delphi + CodeRush was never stable, and CodeRush never did get refactoring
in it while it was still a Delphi add-in. D2006 does a great job of
supporting all but one or two of the main features of CodeRush and adds
more. I used to be a huge Coderush fan, but I don't miss it anymore. In fact
I think D2006 is better than Delphi+CodeRush ever was.

Placatan Bugulandia writes:
Would you guys please get back on the thread's subject matter?
Thread drift is a normal way of life here. :-)
--
Andy Syms
Technosoft Systems Ltd

Re:Visual Basic to Delphi - Yes or No?

Well, while I think having a VB-to-Delphi migration kit out-of-the-box would
be a terribly good proposition, I wouldn't really hold my breath, given past
Borland actions...
Just take a look at EagleSoft's (now DevEx's) CodeRush (arguably the best
Delphi add-in ever), and now firmly in the VS camp. I am still running Delphi
7 due to the lack of CRush support in more recent IDEs, and will probably
stay there until I am ready to jump to VS.NET (I have too many useful plugins
that can not be migrated back to OTAPI)
The question is, without Borland, do you have the marketing muscle to reach
those VB(Visual Basic) users?
Just my 2 cents...

Re:Visual Basic to Delphi - Yes or No?

We were looking for someone, preferable from Borland, to advice us by
providing some strategic advise as to how to migrate/implement/map
certain VB(Visual Basic) features to Delphi.
I can not say how likely you are to get help from Borland staff. But I
will say that there's a great network of peer support in these forums.
Two things that may help you get more and better answers in the peer
support forums:
(1) Phrase your questions in terms of exactly what functionality you
need, rather than saying "it needs to work like VB." I, and many others,
never reply to such questions, since we simply don't know enough VB(Visual Basic) to
know what you want.
(2) Add a carriage return after every 60-70 characters. it is very
annoying and time-consuming for me to read your messages when I need
to scroll back and forth horizontally.
Best of luck to you, and I hope that Delphi and the Delphi forums can
help you!
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM