Re: Info from the meeting with David I/Jason Volkes in Denmark

2006-05-06 01:47:10 AM
delphi128
Interesting if they decide to just focus more on mono tho.
Regarding Mono....
According to David I:
They do not certify Delphi.Net against Mono. However the developers behind
Mono have access to Borland beta software, and are doing tests themselfs,
and are providing bugreports etc. to DevCo which DevCo is fixing if its
possible within the given schedules.
--
best regards
Kim Madsen

Re: Info from the meeting with David I/Jason Volkes in Denmark

Had to use a quite bit of P/Invoke, an helper service in C++ for the
barcode reader interface (the .Net-based API in the Symbol SDK proved more
trouble than it was worth, so I ended up using a tweaked version of the
"ScanWedge" sample).
We have made a good handfull of applications for CF.NET, most of the
integrated with MBS Navision (using RemObjects). The run on Symbol PPT8846,
PDT8037, MC90xx, MC50 and MC70 and I have never had any problems with the
Symbol .NET SDK (once I got to know .NET that is ;)
We're using VDS from www.labitweb.com for GUI controls and are quite happy
with it.
Half of the trouble went into "locking up" the PocketPC however, so the
app would run in full-screen mode, would survive reboots (warm and cold),
power losses, USB/Ethernet driver quirks, attempts to fire up the built-in
games, tamperings of settings, wifi module suddenly powering up and eating
the battery, etc.
Yeah, we had our struggle with that as well. Should be easier with MC70 as
it runs WM5.
Cheers,
Lars

Re: Info from the meeting with David I/Jason Volkes in Denmark

So it is either VCs or poultry farmers?
If it is not ebay, they are morons... because they bought skype for 2+
billion and do NOT have control of the tool it was developed with.

Re: Info from the meeting with David I/Jason Volkes in Denmark

So, taking all this experience into account, should DevCo make CF such a
high priority?
It looks like it would only be a waste of time and resources.
Perhaps they should focus more on making fast native apps for Windows
Mobile/CE/XP embedded.
Just my 2 cents...

Re: Info from the meeting with David I/Jason Volkes in Denmark

So, taking all this experience into account, should DevCo make CF such a
high priority?
I really hope they do!
Mobile solutions is where we really make a difference to our customers.
Cheers,
Lars

Re: Info from the meeting with David I/Jason Volkes in Denmark

Perhaps they should focus more on making fast native apps for Windows
Mobile/CE/XP embedded.
Ups, forgot to comment on this..
While it would be nice to have native apps for Windows Mobile/CE, you would
cut yourself from using the existing 3. part components that exists. I don't
think Native Delphi Mobile market would be large enough for component
builders to support it.
Cheers,
Lars

Eric Grange writes:
.Net-based API in the Symbol SDK proved more trouble than it was worth
What problems did you have with the Symbol SDK? I had to use their SDK
to determine when a WiFi access point comes into range, and it hasn't
proved too troublesome yet. That being said, this code hasn't gone live
yet, so I would be interested to hear of any potential problems or pitfalls.
--
Cheers,
David Clegg

Re: Info from the meeting with David I/Jason Volkes in Denmark

Perhaps they should focus more on making fast native apps for Windows
Mobile/CE/XP embedded.
The trouble for CE is that MS seem to be pushing the CF hard there, almost to
the point of not mentioning that native development is possible.
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Skype : jim.cooper
Tabdee Ltd www.tabdee.ltd.uk
TurboSync - Connecting Delphi to your Palm

Re: Info from the meeting with David I/Jason Volkes in Denmark

What problems did you have with the Symbol SDK?
My comment lies with the barcode reading interface in the .Net part of the SDK,
I never really touched the rest. The trouble was mostly with the amount of code
involved to get things done, and having the barcode reader become "inactive"
after several minutes of operations (could be that I forgot some code, or
misused some of it).
In comparison, the "scanwedge" service/utility was quite easy to tweak to
include things like barcode type and escape characters in the string (scanwedge
basicly transforms barcode reading into keystrokes, it is in the "native" Symbol
SDK), and ran with (AFAICT) no stability issue or power/cpu consumption. Since
it was emulating keystrokes, it also meant the dozens of input components became
barcode & manual entry capable "for free".
Eric

Re: Info from the meeting with David I/Jason Volkes in Denmark

MC50
Speaking of this one, did you try the model with the linear barcode scanner?
We had a bunch of these, and their barcode reading ability proved so
underwhelming they had to be exchanged and replaced by the version with the 2D
imager...
Still wondering if it was just a bad batch, or if it affected all the linear
scanner versions (the imager works wonders, but it costs extra $$$)
Eric

Re: Info from the meeting with David I/Jason Volkes in Denmark

>MC50
Speaking of this one, did you try the model with the linear barcode
scanner?
No, we only use the version with the imager, mainly because we were told
that the 1D scanner was very poor..
Cheers,
Lars

Re: Info from the meeting with David I/Jason Volkes in Denmark

My comment lies with the barcode reading interface in the .Net part of the
SDK, I never really touched the rest. The trouble was mostly with the
amount of code involved to get things done, and having the barcode reader
become "inactive" after several minutes of operations (could be that I
forgot some code, or misused some of it).
Compared to how powerful it is, I don't think that much code is involved.
We never had any stability issues with it either and one of our applications
is a Warehouse Management solution that are use all days long by our
customers.
Cheers,
Lars

Re: Info from the meeting with David I/Jason Volkes in Denmark

I've been doing native CE development for about a year now. I started
out with the CF but my god its slow. I was amazed at how little
resources there are out there for fledgling CE developers. it is mind
blowing how productive the CF is in visual studio 2005 but the it seems
to me we are going to have to wait till the next rev of processors to
really use it.
Jim Cooper writes:

>Perhaps they should focus more on making fast native apps for Windows
>Mobile/CE/XP embedded.

The trouble for CE is that MS seem to be pushing the CF hard there,
almost to the point of not mentioning that native development is possible.

Cheers,
Jim Cooper

Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Skype : jim.cooper
Tabdee Ltd www.tabdee.ltd.uk

TurboSync - Connecting Delphi to your Palm

Re: Info from the meeting with David I/Jason Volkes in Denmark

This has worked flawlessly for me for 2yrs:
public static bool WirelessIsInRange() {
Symbol.WirelessLAN.Radio MyRadio = new Symbol.WirelessLAN.Radio();
try {
return (MyRadio.Signal.Quality !=
Symbol.WirelessLAN.SignalQuality.NONE);
} finally {
MyRadio.Dispose();
}
}
Couldn't be much simpler than that. The only complaints I have is that they
are taking a long time to come out with an upgrade for WinCE for our
MC9000-G's that can run .NET v2 CF and upgrading their SDK.
"David Clegg" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Eric Grange writes:

>.Net-based API in the Symbol SDK proved more trouble than it was worth

What problems did you have with the Symbol SDK? I had to use their SDK
to determine when a WiFi access point comes into range, and it hasn't
proved too troublesome yet. That being said, this code hasn't gone live
yet, so I would be interested to hear of any potential problems or pitfalls.

Re: Info from the meeting with David I/Jason Volkes in Denmark

WinCE is a little easier to control what the user sees than PocketPC. There
are no built-in games for one thing.. I would like to know how you got it to
survive cold boots. I have to reinstall everything when they leave it off
the charger for too long.