Google Desktop Gadgets

2006-08-25 04:00:02 PM
delphi19
I originally posted this request message in
borland.public.delphi.thirdpartytools.general, but only received one
response.
Anyone know where I can find a Delphi example of how to write a Google
Desktop Gadget Plug-in?
For those of you not familiar with the Google Desktop Plug-ins, you can see
examples here: desktop.google.com/plugins/. I am sure there are a lot
of Delphi applications that would be right at home in the Google Sidebar.
Yes, I am aware of desktop.google.com/developer.html; unfortunately,
they forgot to post a Delphi example!?

Re:Google Desktop Gadgets

"JP" <undisclosed>writes
For those of you not familiar with the Google Desktop Plug-ins, you can
see examples here: desktop.google.com/plugins/. I am sure there are
a lot of Delphi applications that would be right at home in the Google
Sidebar.
Why not do an app that runs minimised in the system tray? Then you are not
restricted to Google Sidebar users.
Tim
Tech blog:
www.itwriting.com/blog

Re:Google Desktop Gadgets

"Tim Anderson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
"JP" <undisclosed>writes

>For those of you not familiar with the Google Desktop Plug-ins, you can
>see examples here: desktop.google.com/plugins/. I am sure there are
>a lot of Delphi applications that would be right at home in the Google
>Sidebar.

Why not do an app that runs minimised in the system tray? Then you are not
restricted to Google Sidebar users.

Two reasons come to mind off the top.
Goggle name recognition,
highly visible, trusted, hosting on the google web site.
For free, I would guess.
Try to get that with your systray app.
--
Thanks,
Brad.

Re:Google Desktop Gadgets

I'd like to think of it as being exposed to Google Sidebar users who would
not otherwise know about my application (free advertising.)
Also, I pity the Google Sidebar users who are currently restricted to
non-Delphi applications.
"Tim Anderson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
"JP" <undisclosed>writes

>For those of you not familiar with the Google Desktop Plug-ins, you can
>see examples here: desktop.google.com/plugins/. I am sure there are
>a lot of Delphi applications that would be right at home in the Google
>Sidebar.

Why not do an app that runs minimised in the system tray? Then you are not
restricted to Google Sidebar users.

Tim
Tech blog:
www.itwriting.com/blog

Re:Google Desktop Gadgets

"JP" <undisclosed>writes
I'd like to think of it as being exposed to Google Sidebar users who would
not otherwise know about my application (free advertising.)
Fair point.
Also, I pity the Google Sidebar users who are currently restricted to
non-Delphi applications.
Maybe a bit extreme :-)
Tim
Tech blog:
www.itwriting.com/blog

Re:Google Desktop Gadgets

JP writes:
Also, I pity the Google Sidebar users who are currently restricted to
non-Delphi applications.
Huh? Not having an example posted is different than begin restricted
to non-Delphi apps. From the linked page:
"Developers can program in ... any language that supports COM and XML"
Useful articles about InterBase development:
blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/category/21.aspx

Re:Google Desktop Gadgets

"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. acm.org]>wrote
in message news:44ef6066$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
JP writes:

>Also, I pity the Google Sidebar users who are currently restricted to
>non-Delphi applications.

Huh? Not having an example posted is different than begin restricted
to non-Delphi apps. From the linked page:

"Developers can program in ... any language that supports COM and XML"

But users can't.
Either you guys are talking about different things,
or you are confusing users with developers.
--
HTH,
Brad.

Re:Google Desktop Gadgets

Brad White writes:
Either you guys are talking about different things,
or you are confusing users with developers.
Not really. Being unaware of a Delphi app is not the same as saying it
doesn't exist.
Borland newsgroup denizen Sergio González has a new CD of
Irish music out, and it is good: tinyurl.com/7hgfr