Pascal is more human oriented language than C (or any language based on them), isn't it?

2007-01-10 05:45:56 AM
delphi219
So, why many people prefer C? I think because C is more flexible and
gives a developer more freedom in writing code. Well, maybe pascal
needs to become more flexible to attract developers.
Just IMHO :-) Any comments?

Re:Pascal is more human oriented language than C (or any language based on them), isn't it?

Please define flexible.
--
Finn Tolderlund

Irakli schrieb:
So, why many people prefer C? I think because C is more flexible and
gives a developer more freedom in writing code.
...and introducing bugs because of the sometimes lax rules the compiler
can't show.
Greetings
Markus

Irakli writes:
So, why many people prefer C? I think because C is more flexible and
gives a developer more freedom in writing code. Well, maybe pascal
needs to become more flexible to attract developers.
Given delphi can use pointers and assembler, hows it not as flexible?
--
Liz the Brit
Delphi things I have released: www.xcalibur.co.uk/DelphiThings

Irakli writes:
So, why many people prefer C? I think because C is more flexible and
gives a developer more freedom in writing code. Well, maybe pascal
needs to become more flexible to attract developers.

Just IMHO :-) Any comments?

Basically, because of the myriad of libraries and compilers available
and it is ANSI compliant, meaning better XPlatform support.
Pascal was dismissed early on as primarily an academic language. Borland
is the only large company that really demonstrated the power of Pascal.
Ada (a pascal derivative) made a good run in the late 80 and early
nineties, but soon fell out of favor as well.

Re:Pascal is more human oriented language than C (or any language based on them), isn't it?

"Irakli" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
So, why many people prefer C?
They like e{*word*277}ment and taking risks, and get more satisfaction from
tracking down elusive bugs than doing boring things like writing
applications.
I think because C is more flexible and
gives a developer more freedom in writing code.
... and with that comes more freedom to make mistakes.
Well, maybe pascal
needs to become more flexible to attract developers.

Borland did implement a version of Pascal that is more 'flexible'. Their
version was initially called Turbo Pascal, then Object Pascal and now
Delphi. Each new version has introduced more of the unsafe features that C
programmers thrive on e.g. pointer arithmetic, typecasts, disjoint
enumerated types, function overloading, default parameters etc. etc.

Irakli writes:
So, why many people prefer C? I think because C is more flexible and
gives a developer more freedom in writing code. Well, maybe pascal
needs to become more flexible to attract developers.

Just IMHO :-) Any comments?
Because people like being to be able to say: 'I am a C developer'.
Makes em' feel superior at parties.
--
Robin.

Irakli writes:
So, why many people prefer C? I think because C is more flexible and
gives a developer more freedom in writing code. Well, maybe pascal
needs to become more flexible to attract developers.

Just IMHO :-) Any comments?

It ain't the tool, it how and where you use it.

Re:Pascal is more human oriented language than C (or any language based on them), isn't it?

Pascal is more *human* oriented language ... isn't it [?]
I think that Ada is a more *engineer* oriented language.
<g>--JohnH

Re:Pascal is more human oriented language than C (or any language based on them), isn't it?

Finn Tolderlund writes:
Please define flexible.
www.contortionhomepage.com/photolib.html
--
Donald

Re:Pascal is more human oriented language than C (or any language based on them), isn't it?

Irakli writes:
So, why many people prefer C?
Network effect.
1. Most others use C-look-alike languages (C, C++,Java , C#, Cg, D,
Alef, Limbo )
2. Books, seminars, conferences, papers are on these.
3. Job opportunities are for these

Re:Pascal is more human oriented language than C (or any language based on them), isn't it?

"John Herbster" <herb-sci1_AT_sbcglobal.net>wrote in news:45a44bdc$1
@newsgroups.borland.com:
>Pascal is more *human* oriented language ... isn't it [?]

I think that Ada is a more *engineer* oriented language.
<g>--JohnH

John, you're a bad, bad boy! go stand in the corner until
you repent of your heretical remarks ;^D
--
Mark Vaughan
____________

Re:Pascal is more human oriented language than C (or any language based on them), isn't it?

So, why many people prefer C? I think because C is more flexible and
gives a developer more freedom in writing code.
1. They have the impression that its easy just to plug a dll or lib into
their source without any need to translate headers.
2. They think they could develop drivers and other low level stuff.
3. They believe there is a C compiler for any platform.
4. They are afraid of changes, they rather stay static than evolve.
5. They have not discover Delphi.

Re:Pascal is more human oriented language than C (or any language based on them), isn't it?

Hello Chapulin Colorado,
2. They think they could develop drivers and other low level stuff.
most of them have never done and will never do it :)
3. They believe there is a C compiler for any platform
most of them use only MS VC++ :)
5. They have not discover Delphi.
it's the real reason :)
--
Dzmitry Piatrushenia ICQ: 48665143
Senior Software Developer tel.: +375 17 2817578

Re:Pascal is more human oriented language than C (or any language based on them), isn't it?

"Chris Burrows" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>So, why many people prefer C?

They like e{*word*277}ment and taking risks, and get more satisfaction from
tracking down elusive bugs than doing boring things like writing
applications.

That's just your lack for competent software development practices, not a
fault of the language.
>I think because C is more flexible and
>gives a developer more freedom in writing code.

... and with that comes more freedom to make mistakes.

Again, a statement that shows your lack of understanding.
>Well, maybe pascal
>needs to become more flexible to attract developers.

Borland did implement a version of Pascal that is more 'flexible'. Their
version was initially called Turbo Pascal, then Object Pascal and now
Delphi. Each new version has introduced more of the unsafe features that C
programmers thrive on e.g. pointer arithmetic, typecasts, disjoint
enumerated types, function overloading, default parameters etc. etc.

You need to stop while you're behind.