Re: The Register reports "Buyer nailed down for Borland tools biz"

2006-07-21 11:52:29 PM
delphi92
spending power." I would rather have $1 from 100 people than $100 from one
person...
Price of Delphi does not seem to reflect that;)

Re: The Register reports "Buyer nailed down for Borland tools biz"

You haven't paid much attention laltely, have you?
It has been said that Borland wants to focus on what they consider now to be
their core business, which is ALM.
So they are selling what is not ALM, which is the IDE tools.
--
Finn Tolderlund
www.tolderlund.eu/delphi/
If it is, why are you guys selling it?

indy writes:
If it is, why are you guys selling it?
We aren't selling it. They are. ;-)
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - DevCo

Re: The Register reports "Buyer nailed down for Borland tools biz"

Finn Tolderlund writes:
which is the IDE tools.
And Interbase. Don't forget Interbase. ;-)
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - DevCo
blogs.borland.com/nickhodges

Re: The Register reports "Buyer nailed down for Borland tools biz"

it is not about Coates proposal per se or his intention to do with entities
after...
it is about value of the business. More or less is being included it is not
a 300M mentioned somewhere nor 50-80M from another discussion.
Higher is the price, better is for the new company since it shows a value of
the items and team included.
it is impressive how mentality of the DevCo is so different from Borland
days.
it is like someone finally removed all this "do-not-see-hear-speak" rule.
Which is so great. It is much easier to communicate with you guys now.
In addition, what Coates was trying to buy isn't the same as what is
currently being sold.
Is there final info on what is going to be moved to the new company?
Did it change since original announcement? What is exactly (now) dev tools
for DevCo?

Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft) writes:
it is impressive how mentality of the DevCo is so different from
Borland days.
You have no idea. ;-)
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - DevCo
blogs.borland.com/nickhodges

Re: The Register reports "Buyer nailed down for Borland tools biz"

Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft) writes:
Did it change since original announcement?
I don't believe it has.
--

indy writes:
If it is, why are you guys selling it?
It's not unusual for companies to sell off profitable parts of their
business so they can focus on other things.. and being profitable sure
makes them a lot easier to sell.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re: The Register reports "Buyer nailed down for Borland tools biz"

Allen Bauer writes:
This is typical of the Register... provide just enough information that is
already known and then season it with just enough innuendo and speculation
to sound somewhat credible. For instance, 300 staff members of DevCo is
somewhat inflated number. As for the "constiuency that has less individual
spending power."
Yes, I appreciate the way you've articulated what I too find unsavory
about the Register.
I'd rather have $1 from 100 people than $100 from one
person... Lose one person in the first scenario and you still have $99,
wheras in the second you have $0. Besides, it is far less risky when you
actually know what you're doing, understand the market, and have a good
relationship with that community. I am going into this venture risk aware,
NOT risk averse.
Agreed 100%. Thanks for the response. Go DevCo!
--
Brian Moelk
Brain Endeavor LLC

Re: The Register reports "Buyer nailed down for Borland tools biz"

can you help me to find original slide how products are divided between
companies, please
>Did it change since original announcement?

I don't believe it has.

Re: The Register reports "Buyer nailed down for Borland tools biz"

>it is impressive how mentality of the DevCo is so different from
>Borland days.

You have no idea. ;-)
mmm, internally... might be not... but current level of DevRel is amazing.
Good work!!!!

Re: The Register reports "Buyer nailed down for Borland tools biz"

Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft) writes:
can you help me to find original slide how products are divided
between companies, please
blogs.borland.com/davidi/archive/2006/02/08/23013.aspx
--
Nick Hodges
Delphi/C# Product Manager - DevCo
blogs.borland.com/nickhodges

Re: The Register reports "Buyer nailed down for Borland tools biz"

Coates offer was just about what I just saw in the house next door to where I live. The 80 years old
man that lived there is being moved into a rest home and everything in his house is being sold off.
I saw a TI99 still in the orignal box that it came in about 20 years ago. Now that is a colectors
item if I ever saw one.
Dennis Passmore
"If you cannot conceive the idea you
will never achieve the desired results"

Re: The Register reports "Buyer nailed down for Borland tools biz"

How about a Commodore 128?
:p
Dennis Passmore writes:
Coates offer was just about what I just saw in the house next door to where I live. The 80 years old
man that lived there is being moved into a rest home and everything in his house is being sold off.
I saw a TI99 still in the orignal box that it came in about 20 years ago. Now that is a colectors
item if I ever saw one.

--
Anders Ohlsson - blogs.borland.com/ao/
Borland Developer Tools Group ("DevCo")

Re: The Register reports "Buyer nailed down for Borland tools biz"

"Anders Ohlsson (Borland)" wrote on Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:19:07 -0700:
How about a Commodore 128?
I have a Commodore 64 set up and working, ready to play Impossible
Mission any time I feel the need.
I have a Commodore 128 in the attic that was set up and in working
order less than a year ago.
:-)
--
Brandon Staggs