Error on program start

2004-02-26 06:22:21 AM
delphi283
Not sure the most appropriate group for this...
When deploying my app to certain PC's, I am getting an error message
immediately upon starting my app. The error reads as follows:
{appname}.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will
need to restart the program. An error log is being created.
Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this error? Restarting the
program only generates the same error message. As far as I can tell, it only
happens on certain machines on which my app is installed.
Also, anyone have any idea where the error log mentioned in the error
message might be? I have looked in the obvious places, but can not find
anything.
Thanks,
Frank

Re:Error on program start

"Frank Marousek" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Not sure the most appropriate group for this...

When deploying my app to certain PC's, I am getting an error message
immediately upon starting my app. The error reads as follows:

{appname}.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will
need to restart the program. An error log is being created.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this error? Restarting the
program only generates the same error message. As far as I can tell, it
only
happens on certain machines on which my app is installed.

Also, anyone have any idea where the error log mentioned in the error
message might be? I have looked in the obvious places, but can not find
anything.

Are you doing anything that is windows version specific in your startup
code?

Re:Error on program start

I don't believe so, no.
In any case, the most recent failure was on a PC running Windows 2000, which
is the same version of Windows that most all the PC's in our office run the
app without poblem.
--
"Jack Mays" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Are you doing anything that is windows version specific in your startup
code?

Re:Error on program start

On my W2k system I find it here
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\DrWatson\drwtsn32.log
[...]

In case anyone reading along is curious, I found the problem (and solution)
to my problem.
Turns out it was a stupid mistake on my part. I had a reference to a network
drive (put in for testing purposes and not even needed in the functional
app) in the OnCreate event of my data module. Apparently some PC's on which
I attempted to run this app did not have the expected network drive
mapping-- hence the error. I was thrown off the track by the cryptic nature
of the error message.
Thanks to all who attempted to help.