TP7.0 programmer wants to learn Delphi

A wide open question:  How much of my TP knowledge will be applicable
to Delphi?  I've seen snippets of code in this newsgroup that are pure
TP7.0 syntax.  Is this the rule rather than the exception?

Could someone post a simple example of Delphi source?

Re:TP7.0 programmer wants to learn Delphi

Greg Pencheff (m...@epix.net) wrote:

: A wide open question:  How much of my TP knowledge will be applicable
: to Delphi?  I've seen snippets of code in this newsgroup that are pure
: TP7.0 syntax.  Is this the rule rather than the exception?

Indeed Object Pascal is *very* similar to TP. But there are some very
nice extensions of the "ordinary" Turbo Pascal syntax. E.g. you can
use exception handling (like in Borland C++). Even RTTI is available.

On the other hand you can compile most of the TP7.0 sources with Delphi.
There are only a few differences. The init-constructor is now called
.Create. But the syntax is mostly the same.

The main advance of Delphi is, that you now can concentrate on programming
a solution and you don't have to spend 90% of your time into coding
the GUI.

The answer to your question is (IMHO): over 95 percent.

: Could someone post a simple example of Delphi source?

This is not very helpful for you I think, cos Delphi source code consists
of 1) Object Pascal code and 2) the form source code.

Forms are the description of the interface (the windows). What in TP
has to be done manually you can do in Delphi via Drag and Drop.

Ciao, Kay

--
   Kay Roepke   kroe...@ON-Luebeck.DE  http://www.ON-Luebeck.DE/~kroepke
   Rensefelder Weg 24,  23617 Stockelsdorf,  Federal Republic of Germany

        "We don't care! We don't have to. We are the phone company.

m...@epix.net (Greg Pencheff) wrote:
>A wide open question:  How much of my TP knowledge will be applicable
>to Delphi?  I've seen snippets of code in this newsgroup that are pure
>TP7.0 syntax.  Is this the rule rather than the exception?
>Could someone post a simple example of Delphi source?

You're right. Delphi is TP with a visual interface (and a good one
too!). I never reallyu got into OWL etc in Pascal, but Delphi really
makes Windows programming so easy... In a week, I was already very
happy in Delphi.

If you have a choice, go for Delphi 2 (32-bit) as I don't see that
there will be much more development on Delphi 1...

Good luck and happy coding!

Claude Pellerin

Greg Pencheff wrote:

> A wide open question:  How much of my TP knowledge will be applicable
> to Delphi?  I've seen snippets of code in this newsgroup that are pure
> TP7.0 syntax.  Is this the rule rather than the exception?

> Could someone post a simple example of Delphi source?

Delphi _is_ Pascal.  In fact, if you dig around a little, you realize that
Delphi 1 is ObjectPascal 8.0, and Delphi 2 is OP 9.0.

There are a few differences, mostly in the 32-bit Delphi 2.  The one that
bugs me the most, just because I'm not used to typing the new one yet, is
some of the file functions; they changed names to avoid conflicts with
some Delphi component methods (e.g., Assign() became AssignFile()).

I have been a TP user since before V3, and had _no_ problems moving to Delphi.
If you haven't worked in Windows before, you might have a steep learning curve
to deal with.  However, having the visual tools to work with makes things a
lot easier.

For example, instead of using Resource Workshop to define a dialog, and then
going to TP and typing a whole bunch of stuff just to get the framework in
place to start using said dialog, now you put stuff on the form, and the
code is generated for you.  That's the magic of RAD! (ughh - I'm starting to
sound like a Borland commercial! My apologies...)

Well, as you can tell, I love this product.  Even with all the bugs, the f***ed
up help system in 2.0, etc., I wouldn't trade development tools for anything.

If you decide to make the switch, and find you need some help, let me know.
Been there, done that!

brian

Other Threads