help me find a good book on delphi for a newbie

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good book for delphi which is
designed for beginners, i have done a little (and i mean a little)
programming in pascal and would like to have a dabble in delphi. If
any of you have just started from scratch, i'd love to know the name
of the book that got you started. The author, isbn number or title
would be excellent and the more books, the better

thanks for your time

Roger Callan
Stockport
England (UK)

Re:help me find a good book on delphi for a newbie

In article <312b8d2f.1012...@news.demon.co.uk>, ro...@defcom.demon.co.uk (Roger Callan) says:

>I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good book for delphi which is
>designed for beginners, i have done a little (and i mean a little)
>programming in pascal and would like to have a dabble in delphi. If
>any of you have just started from scratch, i'd love to know the name
>of the book that got you started. The author, isbn number or title
>would be excellent and the more books, the better

>thanks for your time

I was a newbie at Delphi 6 months ago (probably still am looking at the
posts in here!) and I started with 'Delphi for Dummies'. I think I got
as far as writing the 'Towers of Hanoi' when I got pissed off reading the
book and decided to venture out and program. The book however was
invaluable IMHO for giving me a good basic insight into Delphi, Pascal
programming and how to write Windows Apps (something I thought I needed
a brain implant for!). The last sections were brilliant for showing me
some basic pitfalls and some neat tips. I still refer to it now.
Martyn Lavender
BBC Pebble Mill
Email: Martyn.Lavender @ bbc.co.uk

The above opinions are my own and are in no way, either explicitly
or implicitly, anything to do with the BBC or a reflection on the BBC.

ro...@defcom.demon.co.uk says...

>I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good book for delphi which is
>designed for beginners, i have done a little (and i mean a little)
>programming in pascal and would like to have a dabble in delphi. If
>any of you have just started from scratch, i'd love to know the name
>of the book that got you started. The author, isbn number or title
>would be excellent and the more books, the better

>thanks for your time

>Roger Callan
>Stockport
>England (UK)

Roger,

Start with simply taking a 'whack' at Delphi to get the feel of it.
Try developing a small (single form) application.  Use the on-line
help and whatever manuals you have for assistance.  I found the books
make more sense if one starts with some knowlege.

The next thing I did was read the book 'Delphi Programming for Dummies'
by Rubenking cover to cover. I didn't actually do the examples, but I
tried to absorb as much of what was said as possible.  After reading
the book, apply as much gained knowlege as possible to your
application.  Add levels of complexity to the application.  Stretch
your level of knowlege as much as possible.

The next step (and I'm still working on this one) is to get a book like
'Delphi Unleashed' by Calvert and start to read it.  This is a more
advanced book, and will supply you with some additional stuff.  Read it
and apply it as you go along.  If your original application cannot be
extended, start a new one and push it along as your knowlege increases.

There is another book I bought that I have used as a reference.  It is
'Delphi Developers Guide' by Pacheco & Teixeira.  From what I've read
of it, it looks good.  I haven't even attempted to read it straight
through.

I hope this helps.

--
Regards,