Interbase and windows XP, server and client on the same PC

On the Portable PC  with name HOSTNAME,  running XP, Interbase and DBX
application we find :

Situation 1:
PC : "HOSTNAME" with an active network connection. Application working fine.

Situation 2:
Network cable disconnected, we get the next error message and the
application is{*word*154} :

"Unable to complete network request to host 'HOSTNAME'. Error writing data
to the connection."

We have tried a lot of things in XP to overcome this problem, but nothing
helps. It seems that XP modifies its TCP/IP configuration if not connected
to a network. (through dialin - or - UTP )

Re:Interbase and windows XP, server and client on the same PC

> What would you expect to happen?

I could easily be wrong but when I read his message I get the impression
that the client and server are running on the same computer.  It sounds as
though the connection to a local InterBase server fails when the network is
disconnected.  In which case it is very likely an operating system issue.

- Brian

Re:Interbase and windows XP, server and client on the same PC

both interbase server and the application are on the same machine;
This concept is working fine under W98. ( without network cable connected )
regards,

Jan Hek

"Bill Todd" <b...@notthis.dbginc.com> schreef in bericht

> What would you expect to happen? That is the same error you will get
> if you try to connect to a remote IB server under Win2k and, AFAIK,
> all other Windows flavors if the network is down.

> On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 00:22:16 +0100, "jan hek" <jan...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:

> >On the Portable PC  with name HOSTNAME,  running XP, Interbase and DBX
> >application we find :

> >Situation 1:
> >PC : "HOSTNAME" with an active network connection. Application working
fine.

> >Situation 2:
> >Network cable disconnected, we get the next error message and the
> >application is{*word*154} :

> >"Unable to complete network request to host 'HOSTNAME'. Error writing
data
> >to the connection."

> >We have tried a lot of things in XP to overcome this problem, but nothing
> >helps. It seems that XP modifies its TCP/IP configuration if not
connected
> >to a network. (through dialin - or - UTP )

> --
> Bill (TeamB)

Re:Interbase and windows XP, server and client on the same PC

> On the Portable PC  with name HOSTNAME,  running XP, Interbase and DBX
> application we find :

> Situation 1:
> PC : "HOSTNAME" with an active network connection. Application working
fine.

> Situation 2:
> Network cable disconnected, we get the next error message and the
> application is{*word*154} :

> "Unable to complete network request to host 'HOSTNAME'. Error writing data
> to the connection."

> We have tried a lot of things in XP to overcome this problem, but nothing
> helps. It seems that XP modifies its TCP/IP configuration if not connected
> to a network. (through dialin - or - UTP )

Try using "127.0.0.1" instead of "HOSTNAME".  If that works then you can
probably add "HOSTNAME" to your "HOSTS" file to resolve the problem.  In
other words, my suspicion is that when the computer is disconnected it
cannot convert "HOSTNAME" to an IP address.

Good luck, Brian

Re:Interbase and windows XP, server and client on the same PC

Brian
We tried HOSTNAME in HOSTS already ;
using 127.0.0.1 instead of HOSTNAME will be the next attempt.

Thanks for your response,
Jan

> Try using "127.0.0.1" instead of "HOSTNAME".  If that works then you can
> probably add "HOSTNAME" to your "HOSTS" file to resolve the problem.  In
> other words, my suspicion is that when the computer is disconnected it
> cannot convert "HOSTNAME" to an IP address.

> Good luck, Brian

Re:Interbase and windows XP, server and client on the same PC

Sorry. I did interpret your mesage correctly. I agree that
disconnecting the network cable should not cause the localhost
connection to fail.

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:Interbase and windows XP, server and client on the same PC

> We tried HOSTNAME in HOSTS already ;
> using 127.0.0.1 instead of HOSTNAME will be the next attempt.

You should also try "localhost".  (Thanks to Bill Todd for the reminder).

- Brian

Re:Interbase and windows XP, server and client on the same PC

We tried localhost: and 127.0.0.1: both gave the same result as HOSTNAME:
Since this XP-standalone experience seems to be new in this group, i'll try
to get info from Microsoft about it XP behaviour when not connected to a
network.

thanks all for your suggestions,
rgds Jan

"Brian Cook" <bcook@rowdydogsoftware[REMOVE].com> schreef in bericht

> > We tried HOSTNAME in HOSTS already ;
> > using 127.0.0.1 instead of HOSTNAME will be the next attempt.

> You should also try "localhost".  (Thanks to Bill Todd for the reminder).

> - Brian

Other Threads