Last Name First

Does anyone know of a function that could automatically put last name first.

Basically It would look at stuff like  Paul Richard Mc Donald Jr. and when
validating change it to  McDonald Jr., Paul Richards
It would also have to recognize when the user had entered the data with the
last name first (looking for a comma) and leave it alone.

If anyone has such a function please share if you will. If not I may have
one to offer shortly. :^)

Thanks

Re:Last Name First

When you have an algorithm that will handle John Patrick Francis Van Der
Haven M.D Ph.D let me know<g>.  I had to do this many years ago in Cobol and
it was not a trivial task.  The place to look for such an algorithm is with
organizations that do mailing list processing.

Bill

--
Bill Todd

Re:Last Name First

Good luck... you will end up with something that works 90 to 95 percent of the
time... if you are simply doing bulk mail, nobody will care... if you are doing
fundraising...as I learned the hard way... people become p*ssed if you get their
name wrong...  I've done these things for cops who wanted to name match lists...
this is very non-trivial.

--
Wayne Herbert
Manager, Computer Products

Vox:  713.522.7949
Fax:  713.521.3202
Email:  wherb...@keymaps.com

"Everywhere I go, I'm asked if I think universities stifle writers. My opinion
is that they don't stifle enough of them."

Flannery O'Connor (1925-1964)

Re:Last Name First

I had to write this logic for a fund-raising company in Washington DC back in
the late 80s.  It was implemented in Clipper, but out of their 20,000 names
(including Ambassador Plenopotentiary & others) I got about a 98% success rate.

The customer still had to run through and verify the information, but it was a
LOT faster just reading it than having to manually enter every one.

If I can dig up the code, I'll see if I can find the time to re-implement it in
Delphi.  It was so incredibly handy for Clipper when converting from a "Full
Name" field to individual Salutation, First, Middle, Last, Honorific, Generation
fields.

I think I wrote in in Clipper S'87, so it wasn't even an object.  It will be in
the Delphi version.

>Good luck... you will end up with something that works 90 to 95 percent of the
>time... if you are simply doing bulk mail, nobody will care... if you are doing
>fundraising...as I learned the hard way... people become p*ssed if you get their
>name wrong...  I've done these things for cops who wanted to name match lists...
>this is very non-trivial.

>Derrick Thomas wrote:

>> Does anyone know of a function that could automatically put last name first.

>> Basically It would look at stuff like  Paul Richard Mc Donald Jr. and when
>> validating change it to  McDonald Jr., Paul Richards
>> It would also have to recognize when the user had entered the data with the
>> last name first (looking for a comma) and leave it alone.

>> If anyone has such a function please share if you will. If not I may have
>> one to offer shortly. :^)

>> Thanks

>--
>Wayne Herbert
>Manager, Computer Products
>Key Maps, Inc.
>1411 West Alabama
>Houston, TX  77006

>Vox:  713.522.7949
>Fax:  713.521.3202
>Email:  wherb...@keymaps.com

>"Everywhere I go, I'm asked if I think universities stifle writers. My opinion
>is that they don't stifle enough of them."

>Flannery O'Connor (1925-1964)

John Kaster, Enterprise Product Manager
Please post MIDAS-related messages in inprise.public.midas

Re:Last Name First

I can't even get the clerks to type in names right 98% of the time anyway.
So that would be more that sufficient.

Other Threads