Pentium III Chips Released with IDs - Intel won't budge

        Pentium III chip with the individual serial number that can
track your web surfing and buying habits can now have the ID number
turned on and off by software.  Following some links I found the
www.fightdivx.com website and noticed that they have a Intel Boycott
page with links, quotes and info on why you should boycott the
invasion of privacy Pentium III chips. Just like everyone suspected,
the ID number can be taken without a customers knowledge. Just like
cellular phone fraud, once someone has your unique ID number, they
could pose as you on the internet.  Do not be fooled by reports that
this problem is fixed because Intel disabled this feature by software
on their up coming chips.  Information is power. They want to know
your surfing and buying habits. That is what this is all about. Here
is the link to the page with the boycott info and links.

http://www.fightdivx.com/intelboycott.htm

Also you will find a Boycott Intel screen saver and banner on their
page above. Spread it around.

Re:Pentium III Chips Released with IDs - Intel won't budge

[posted & mailed]

Intel no one schrieb:

>         Pentium III chip with the individual serial number that can
> track your web surfing and buying habits can now have the ID number
> turned on and off by software.

Please desist from posting this nonsense to comp.lang.c
It is off topic for this newsgroup.

Stephan
(-: A brandnew excellent FAQ version has been released !!! :-)
(-: Get it: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/versions.html :-)

Re:Pentium III Chips Released with IDs - Intel won't budge

Subject line says it all - we've been through this subject ad nauseam
already, after all.

Re:Pentium III Chips Released with IDs - Intel won't budge

In article <01be6f1a$1298f700$2a01a8c0@arc7>, bin...@eton.powernet.co.uk
says...

> Subject line says it all - we've been through this subject ad nauseam
> already, after all.

you must be from the .c newsgroup.....

--
KAC Website Design
Custom Programming, Web Design, and Graphics

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 12:51:05 -0700, Kenny A. Chaffin <ke...@kacweb.com> wrote:

>In article <01be6f1a$1298f700$2a01a8c0@arc7>, bin...@eton.powernet.co.uk
>says...
>> Subject line says it all - we've been through this subject ad nauseam
>> already, after all.

>you must be from the .c newsgroup.....

>--
>KAC Website Design
>Custom Programming, Web Design, and Graphics
>ke...@kacweb.com    -     http://www.kacweb.com

Hi

just to add to the point
it would be impossible to do
eg would it know what os you are running???
talk the the correct cp stack etc......

And of course it has a serial number so there
can work out who steals them if ppl do that sort of thing :)

cya

--
Check Out: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/james/
E-Mail: mist...@zetnet.co.uk

Re:Pentium III Chips Released with IDs - Intel won't budge

Ja...@DX2.home (James Stevenson) was too tempted to not write:

> Hi

> just to add to the point
> it would be impossible to do
> eg would it know what os you are running???
> talk the the correct cp stack etc......

> And of course it has a serial number so there
> can work out who steals them if ppl do that sort of thing :)

It's amazing how a post entitled along the lines of
'don't reply to this thread' is just too tempting for james.

Is this the same as having a big red button with 'do not push
me on?'

Ed
-followups means adjusted

In <01be6f1a$1298f700$2a01a8c0@arc7>, "Richard Heathfield" <bin...@eton.powernet.co.uk> writes:

>Subject line says it all - we've been through this subject ad nauseam
>already, after all.

The latest spam came from earthlink:  complain to ab...@earthlink.net.

The website is hosted by value.net:  ab...@value.net.

Send them a copy of the full posting (including headers),  along with a
*courteous* request that they persuade their customer(s) to either:

   a. play nice,  or
   b. get the *#$% out of the Usenet sandbox.

Unfortunately,  it may take a while to run them out of ISPs:  the
earthlink posting appears to have come from Santa Clara,  where POPs are
almost as common as phone booths.

Ran

Other Threads