ODBC Repair & Compact problem with Access DB

I use a Access 2000 DB with a password to open it. When i use the ODBC tool
(in the settings screen) to compact or repair the DB i get a message that
the password is not correct, even when i go to the advanced button and fill
in the password. What am i doiing wrong ???. When this does not work, i can
not use this within a delphi project using the SQLConfigDataSource function.
When i remove the password in the Access DB everything works fine. But i
need the password.

Re:ODBC Repair & Compact problem with Access DB

You can only use ODBC to repair and compact MS Access databases that are
unprotected or have user-level protection (with a system database). Repair
and compact of database-level protected databases (single password) is not
supported.
If you want to repair and compact these databases you will have to use DAO
or ADO (see some of my previous posts for examples).

"Willy Rubens" <willy.rub...@pi.be> schreef in bericht

> I use a Access 2000 DB with a password to open it. When i use the ODBC
tool
> (in the settings screen) to compact or repair the DB i get a message that
> the password is not correct, even when i go to the advanced button and
fill
> in the password. What am i doiing wrong ???. When this does not work, i
can
> not use this within a delphi project using the SQLConfigDataSource
function.
> When i remove the password in the Access DB everything works fine. But i
> need the password.

Re:ODBC Repair & Compact problem with Access DB

Thank you for you reply.
This did help me a lot.
:-)

M.H. Avegaart <avega...@NOSPAMmccomm.nl> schreef in berichtnieuws
9efqil$2v9...@scavenger.euro.net...

> You can only use ODBC to repair and compact MS Access databases that are
> unprotected or have user-level protection (with a system database). Repair
> and compact of database-level protected databases (single password) is not
> supported.
> If you want to repair and compact these databases you will have to use DAO
> or ADO (see some of my previous posts for examples).

> "Willy Rubens" <willy.rub...@pi.be> schreef in bericht
> > I use a Access 2000 DB with a password to open it. When i use the ODBC
> tool
> > (in the settings screen) to compact or repair the DB i get a message
that
> > the password is not correct, even when i go to the advanced button and
> fill
> > in the password. What am i doiing wrong ???. When this does not work, i
> can
> > not use this within a delphi project using the SQLConfigDataSource
> function.
> > When i remove the password in the Access DB everything works fine. But i
> > need the password.

Re:ODBC Repair & Compact problem with Access DB

And for what it's worth, Willy, ADO is the main, "really intended," way
to do most things with MS-Access databases.  It's quite plausible to
continue using ODBC for things that can be done with SQL, but things
that are more DBMS-specific, such as repair-and-compact, are properly
done using ADO.

(And quite easy to do, I might add, because Delphi provides excellent
support for COM-objects, which is basically what ADO is.)

>M.H. Avegaart wrote:

> You can only use ODBC to repair and compact MS Access databases that are
> unprotected or have user-level protection (with a system database). Repair
> and compact of database-level protected databases (single password) is not
> supported.
> If you want to repair and compact these databases you will have to use DAO
> or ADO (see some of my previous posts for examples).

> "Willy Rubens" <willy.rub...@pi.be> schreef in bericht
> > I use a Access 2000 DB with a password to open it. When i use the ODBC
> tool
> > (in the settings screen) to compact or repair the DB i get a message that
> > the password is not correct, even when i go to the advanced button and
> fill
> > in the password. What am i doiing wrong ???. When this does not work, i
> can
> > not use this within a delphi project using the SQLConfigDataSource
> function.
> > When i remove the password in the Access DB everything works fine. But i
> > need the password.

Re:ODBC Repair & Compact problem with Access DB

Thanks for your reply,
BTW What does ADO stands for?
and where can i find information about it.

"Sundial Services" <info_...@sundialservices.com> schreef in bericht

> And for what it's worth, Willy, ADO is the main, "really intended," way
> to do most things with MS-Access databases.  It's quite plausible to
> continue using ODBC for things that can be done with SQL, but things
> that are more DBMS-specific, such as repair-and-compact, are properly
> done using ADO.

> (And quite easy to do, I might add, because Delphi provides excellent
> support for COM-objects, which is basically what ADO is.)

> >M.H. Avegaart wrote:

> > You can only use ODBC to repair and compact MS Access databases that are
> > unprotected or have user-level protection (with a system database).
Repair
> > and compact of database-level protected databases (single password) is
not
> > supported.
> > If you want to repair and compact these databases you will have to use
DAO
> > or ADO (see some of my previous posts for examples).

> > "Willy Rubens" <willy.rub...@pi.be> schreef in bericht
> > > I use a Access 2000 DB with a password to open it. When i use the ODBC
> > tool
> > > (in the settings screen) to compact or repair the DB i get a message
that
> > > the password is not correct, even when i go to the advanced button and
> > fill
> > > in the password. What am i doiing wrong ???. When this does not work,
> > can
> > > not use this within a delphi project using the SQLConfigDataSource
> > function.
> > > When i remove the password in the Access DB everything works fine. But
> > > need the password.

> --
> Sundial Services :: Scottsdale, AZ (USA) :: (480) 946-8259
> mailto:i...@sundialservices.com  (PGP public key available.)
> > Fast(!), automatic table-repair with two clicks of the mouse!
> > ChimneySweep(R):  "Click click, it's fixed!" {tm}
> > http://www.sundialservices.com/products/chimneysweep

Re:ODBC Repair & Compact problem with Access DB

ADO = Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects

See: http://www.microsoft.com/data/ado/default.htm

> Thanks for your reply,
> BTW What does ADO stands for?
> and where can i find information about it.

> "Sundial Services" <info_...@sundialservices.com> schreef in bericht
> > And for what it's worth, Willy, ADO is the main, "really intended," way
> > to do most things with MS-Access databases.  It's quite plausible to
> > continue using ODBC for things that can be done with SQL, but things
> > that are more DBMS-specific, such as repair-and-compact, are properly
> > done using ADO.

> > (And quite easy to do, I might add, because Delphi provides excellent
> > support for COM-objects, which is basically what ADO is.)

> > >M.H. Avegaart wrote:

> > > You can only use ODBC to repair and compact MS Access databases that
are
> > > unprotected or have user-level protection (with a system database).
> Repair
> > > and compact of database-level protected databases (single password) is
> not
> > > supported.
> > > If you want to repair and compact these databases you will have to use
> DAO
> > > or ADO (see some of my previous posts for examples).

> > > "Willy Rubens" <willy.rub...@pi.be> schreef in bericht
ODBC
> > > tool
> that
> > > fill
> > > can
> > > function.
But

> > --
> > Sundial Services :: Scottsdale, AZ (USA) :: (480) 946-8259
> > mailto:i...@sundialservices.com  (PGP public key available.)
> > > Fast(!), automatic table-repair with two clicks of the mouse!
> > > ChimneySweep(R):  "Click click, it's fixed!" {tm}
> > > http://www.sundialservices.com/products/chimneysweep

Re:ODBC Repair & Compact problem with Access DB

Thanks !!!!

> ADO = Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects

> See: http://www.microsoft.com/data/ado/default.htm

> "Willy Rubens" <willy.rub...@pi.be> schreef in bericht
> > Thanks for your reply,
> > BTW What does ADO stands for?
> > and where can i find information about it.

> > "Sundial Services" <info_...@sundialservices.com> schreef in bericht
> > > And for what it's worth, Willy, ADO is the main, "really intended,"
way
> > > to do most things with MS-Access databases.  It's quite plausible to
> > > continue using ODBC for things that can be done with SQL, but things
> > > that are more DBMS-specific, such as repair-and-compact, are properly
> > > done using ADO.

> > > (And quite easy to do, I might add, because Delphi provides excellent
> > > support for COM-objects, which is basically what ADO is.)

> are
> > Repair
is
> > not
> > DAO

> ODBC
> > that
> and
> work,
> But

> > > --
> > > Sundial Services :: Scottsdale, AZ (USA) :: (480) 946-8259
> > > mailto:i...@sundialservices.com  (PGP public key available.)

Other Threads