Retrieving Passwords from Paradox 7 table

Does anyone have some program code to retrieve passwords for paradox 7
tables at runtime?  (for example, if the password has been lost).

If passwords are lost to a paradox 7 table, is there *any* way to retireve
the password, such as using Paradox itself or the database desktop, or is
the data lost forever?  If the data is lost forever, is the typical of
paradox only, or is this standard with other databases such as Access,
FoxPro, or Oracle, or whatever?

--
Bob-o-Bob
Delphi and MFC Programming

God I hate those dang internet post cards!  If you won't kill a tree for me,
then just don't even bother saying hi.

Re:Retrieving Passwords from Paradox 7 table

Bob--Bob <ps...@one.net> wrote in article <34a86ab...@news.one.net>...

> If passwords are lost to a paradox 7 table, is there *any* way to
retireve
> the password, such as using Paradox itself or the database desktop, or is
> the data lost forever?

There used to be a commercial product (somewhere back in the midwest) that
would "unlock" the table and given you the primary password after 20-40
minutes.  Otherwise, you're pretty much out of luck; the tables themselves
are encrypted, so you can't just open it up with a text viewer, etc.  The
encryption apparently is "weak", i.e. a good cryptoanalyst ($$$) might
figure it out with a decent PC (more $$$) and some tools (lots of $$$), and
it is certainly not prohibited from export (a good indication of the
strength of the algorithm used - US ITAR prohibits "strong" encryption from
leaving the country because it is considered a "munition", and therefore it
enjoys the same export status as large cannons and rocket launchers; "weak"
encryption is allowed to go if it meets certain guidelines).  The reason
the utility works is that the master password encrypts the table (and
therefore it is available for cryptographic attacks), so for the sake of
sanity DON'T loose it.

> If the data is lost forever, is the typical of
> paradox only, or is this standard with other databases such as Access,
> FoxPro, or Oracle, or whatever?

Unless you have the $$$, you are able to locate the utility I'm talking
about, or if you are a cryptoanalyst, you're out of luck.  You might as
well forget it.

Access:
I know that with the old V2.0 "encrypting" did NOTHING to prevent you from
copying the file and re-opening it on another (separate) machine.  Access
relies too much on separate files to provide security; a wet paper bag
might provide more protection.  Newer versions may get around this.

FoxPro:
Unknown; FoxBASE was originally a derivative of dBase, and FoxPro a
progression of FoxBASE, so I assume that you have similar issues in FoxPro
and dBase.  Just a guess.

Oracle:
When set up right, it should be as secure as the server it runs on.  Have
only used it as an end-user.

Re:Retrieving Passwords from Paradox 7 table

Actually, I have attached 2 small DOS programs that will figure out a "working"
password to get into
your paradox tables, incase you forgot them. Its free.
If you can't get them, email me and I'll send them to you.
MY EMAIL IS:  romero |AT| alpha1 |DOT| net

Good luck.

--
(NOTE: do NOT use REPLY! Reply is a SPAMGUARD address!)

John M. Romero
---------------------------------
Join The Coalition Against
Unsolicited Commercial Email at