ANN: Delphi-Java bridge code, SmartJ Java launcher (J. Revusky Hacks back by popular request)

(I'm sorry if this is a repeat. I've really been having quite a bit of
trouble
with my ISP/news access. In the good old days, I would have posted
via dejanews.)

Greetings, Friends:

A couple of years ago, I wrote a few hacks for my own use and then gave
them away because they looked to be generally useful. In fact, there are
2 of them that were really pretty popular in certain circles and I still
periodically get people writing me mail about them. I am referring to
the following 2 things:

1. The Delphi-Java bridge code I wrote for mixed-language programming
between Java and Delphi. This includes a translation of the jni.h header
file into Borland Object Pascal as well as some higher-level wrapper
classes (in Object Pascal as well) that tend to make JNI more bearable
to deal with.

and:

2. The SmartJ Java class launcher, a drop-in replacement for java.exe
that is much easier to use for normal people.

These are both marginally updated, though I intend to do some more work
on them over the next couple of months, since I am currently between
projects. At any rate, I have heard people mention that SmartJ does not
work with Java 2 etcetera. That was not quite true. I think it didn't
work with JDK 1.3 or hotspot or some kind of combination thereof. Over
the last couple of days, I have done enough incremental hacking to get
SmartJ working across the board again. (Though I haven't tested it on
anything but Windows 98, so it might be nice if somebody told me it
actually worked on NT or Win2000 or WinMe or whatever...)

I really owe anybody who was using either of these 2 things something of
an apology or explanation. At some point, my ISP of the time moved
servers. I kept getting queries about the thing, but I also wanted to
update the packages. Well, I was busy doing paid work and it all sort of
fell through the cracks.

The new Revusky Hacks page is accessible via the alias:

http://www.bigfoot.com/~jrevusky

which is still in a pretty lame state. But you can download these 2
hacks there.

Enjoy,

Jonathan Revusky

Re:ANN: Delphi-Java bridge code, SmartJ Java launcher (J. Revusky Hacks back by popular request)

In comp.lang.java.advocacy Jonathan Revusky <jrevu...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

: 2. The SmartJ Java class launcher, a drop-in replacement for java.exe
: that is much easier to use for normal people.

: These are both marginally updated, though I intend to do some more work
: on them over the next couple of months, since I am currently between
: projects. At any rate, I have heard people mention that SmartJ does not
: work with Java 2 etcetera. That was not quite true. I think it didn't
: work with JDK 1.3 or hotspot or some kind of combination thereof. Over
: the last couple of days, I have done enough incremental hacking to get
: SmartJ working across the board again. [...]

: http://www.bigfoot.com/~jrevusky

I was one of those who had found that older versions did not work properly.
I can confirm that this version functions correctly.

Anyway, I've now got aroung to trying it with the jikes.dll implementation
of IBM's Jikes.

The effect is incredible.  Compilation speeds are reduced by a factor of
four - compared to my best previous compiler - and by a factor of six
compared to the 1.3 Javac [though MMV].  This is the fastest practical
way I have found of compiling Java from an arbitrary IDE *by miles*.

My congratulations and compliments to Jonathan Revusky for his efforts.
--
 |im |yler  t...@cryogen.com  Home page: http://alife.co.uk/tim/

Other Threads