help-hard disk detection utility

Help,

I need some code to detect large hard disk sizes, in mb.

Does anyone know hoe to do this for disks over 2 gb.

cheers

Mike

Re:help-hard disk detection utility

i have crude code that obtains an IDE drive's size from the firmware.

but i'm not sure how helpful it'd be for the 2gb partition limit yer
alluding to, as it reports the capacity of the _entire_ disk.  which size
as you looking to detect?

assas...@reality.halo.nu

Mike Connor <mike.con...@lineone.net> wrote:

: Help,

: I need some code to detect large hard disk sizes, in mb.

: Does anyone know hoe to do this for disks over 2 gb.

: cheers

: Mike

Re:help-hard disk detection utility

I'm after the entire disk size in mb, manufacturers figure would be
Great....

Can you please post it for me...

Cheers
Mike

In article <8blgc2$po...@supernews.com>, Mike Connor wrote:
>I'm after the entire disk size in mb, manufacturers figure would be
>Great....

>Can you please post it for me...

Search for a Long file names unit under BP, or look in Ralph Browns
interrupts list.

Win95 (which with FAT32 is the only one to support >2 Gb drives) defined
some interrupts for it. Most of them have ah=$71, and int 21.

Re:help-hard disk detection utility

yup, i'll post a url after fixing the program.  one box doesn't like
the reads of port 1F1 and 1F7h while in the middle of getting data from
the sector buffer.  i realize checking the error ports at that stage
is pointless anyway, but it didn't have an adverse effect on any other
tested machines...

assas...@reality.halo.nu

Mike Connor <mike.con...@lineone.net> wrote:

: I'm after the entire disk size in mb, manufacturers figure would be
: Great....

: Can you please post it for me...

: Cheers
: Mike

: "Assassin" <assas...@reality.halo.nu> wrote in message

: news:EMmD4.76$ny.21445@elnws01
:> i have crude code that obtains an IDE drive's size from the firmware.
:>
[...]

Other Threads