WINAPI with Free Pascal and DPMI

Dear Group;

I am trying out Free Pascal with the 32 bit extension on some TP7 code we
have been using for years.  The code uses a graphics toolkit by Quinn-Curtis
in the US.  When DPMI is flagged ON an IFDEF in one of the QC units is
attempting to link a unit called WINAPI.

I can't find this unit anywhere and Quinn-Curtis is not being very helpful
.... "It's not ours"....

Can anyone help out?

Ben

Re:WINAPI with Free Pascal and DPMI

"Ben" <b...@goldak-exploration.com> wrote in message

> Dear Group;

> I am trying out Free Pascal with the 32 bit extension on some TP7 code we
> have been using for years.  The code uses a graphics toolkit by
Quinn-Curtis
> in the US.  When DPMI is flagged ON an IFDEF in one of the QC units is
> attempting to link a unit called WINAPI.

Is this a unit or is the attempted link to WINdows Applications Programming
Interface??  I dont know

Alan

In article <3b9ae7ef$0$20941$7f31c...@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>, Alan Brown wrote:

> "Ben" <b...@goldak-exploration.com> wrote in message
>> Dear Group;
> Quinn-Curtis
>> in the US.  When DPMI is flagged ON an IFDEF in one of the QC units is
>> attempting to link a unit called WINAPI.

> Is this a unit or is the attempted link to WINdows Applications Programming
> Interface??  I dont know

It is a win 3.x (BPW, maybe D1 too) unit afaik.  FPC doesn't support windows
3.x, and user could use win32 calls from unit "Windows", or try to devise a
thunking mechanism to call win16 calls from a win32 program.

Using the unit will tie the application to windows.

"Marco van de Voort" <mar...@toad.stack.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Is this a unit or is the attempted link to WINdows Applications
Programming
> > Interface??  I dont know

> It is a win 3.x (BPW, maybe D1 too) unit afaik.  FPC doesn't support
windows
> 3.x, and user could use win32 calls from unit "Windows", or try to devise
> thunking mechanism to call win16 calls from a win32 program.

> Using the unit will tie the application to windows.

AFAIK the unit delivers windows calls under a DPMI (->protected mode)
interface, and therefore is at least in parts for DOS. Most winapi calls
have
similiar calls in the freepascal go32-unit, as they both interface to DPMI.
However, if winapi was used in BP7 (NOT TP7) it had often reasons
which aren't there with Free Pascal.
So, I would first look, where that IFDEF DPMI-Directives are...
If you're program was only for TP7, they even hadn't been used.

hth, Martin

Alan Brown <a...@gospam.com> wrote in message

> "Ben" <b...@goldak-exploration.com> wrote in message
>  When DPMI is flagged ON an IFDEF in one of the QC units is
> > attempting to link a unit called WINAPI.

> Is this a unit or is the attempted link to WINdows Applications Programming
> Interface??  I dont know

WinAPI is primarily a wrapper unit around the RTM.EXE dynamic linked library
(DLL) that is implicitly required by all BP7 DPMI applications. RTM.EXE itself
is a DLL that provides analogues of various Win3.x kernel services.

--
Jay

Jason Burgon - Author of "Graphic Vision"  GUI for DOS/DPMI
=== Free LFN capable Dos/WinDos replacement and ===
=== New Graphic Vision  version 2.12 available from:  ===
http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk

Other Threads