DUAL BOOT WIN NT WIN 98

    HI FRIENDS !

    FIRST, TANKS BY ATENTION.

   I WANT KNOW HOW I DO A  DUAL BOOT WITH 2 HDS, ONE WITH WIN NT 4 AND THE
OTHER WITH WIN98 FAT32.

    TANK YOU VERY MUCH

    Diclei
    FROM BRAZIL

Re:DUAL BOOT WIN NT WIN 98

because you posted your question here i will not answer, although i could.
PS: don't scream!
Diclei <poupa...@triang.com.br> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
38499a8...@news.triang.com.br...
>     HI FRIENDS !

>     FIRST, TANKS BY ATENTION.

>    I WANT KNOW HOW I DO A  DUAL BOOT WITH 2 HDS, ONE WITH WIN NT 4 AND THE
> OTHER WITH WIN98 FAT32.

>     TANK YOU VERY MUCH

>     Diclei
>     FROM BRAZIL

Re:DUAL BOOT WIN NT WIN 98

If we are friends then why do you scream?????? And why do you post a
non-Delphi question in a Delphi newsgroup? Probly because the most
intelligent people are in this group :)

But hey, here's a short answer.

Make a FAT-16 boot partition of about 150 MB (Win98 needs at least 100 MB
for tempfiles during setup). Then make another partition for Win98. Run
Win98 setup and let it install in the second partition. You can format it
using FAT-32. When this setup is complete, run the WinNT setup and let it
install in the unpartitioned space. The best performance you can get by
using NTFS format. Now you have three partitions: FAT-16, FAT-32 and NTFS.
The problem is that Win98 can't read NTFS and WinNT can't read FAT-32.
But......... there are programs that help. I got a program for WinNT that
can read from and write to FAT-32 partitions. And I also got a program for
Win9x that can read from NTFS. This way you got high performance and the
opportunity to swap files between partitions.

Good luck and please: DON'T SCREAM!!!!!

Den the Man

>>     HI FRIENDS !

>>     FIRST, TANKS BY ATENTION.

>>    I WANT KNOW HOW I DO A  DUAL BOOT WITH 2 HDS, ONE WITH WIN NT 4 AND
THE
>> OTHER WITH WIN98 FAT32.

>>     TANK YOU VERY MUCH

>>     Diclei
>>     FROM BRAZIL

Re:DUAL BOOT WIN NT WIN 98

Den the Man <nos...@spam.com> wrote in message

> Make a FAT-16 boot partition of about 150 MB (Win98 needs at least 100 MB
> for tempfiles during setup). Then make another partition for Win98. Run
> Win98 setup and let it install in the second partition. You can format it
> using FAT-32. When this setup is complete, run the WinNT setup and let it
> install in the unpartitioned space. The best performance you can get by
> using NTFS format. Now you have three partitions: FAT-16, FAT-32 and NTFS.
> The problem is that Win98 can't read NTFS and WinNT can't read FAT-32.
> But......... there are programs that help. I got a program for WinNT that
> can read from and write to FAT-32 partitions. And I also got a program for
> Win9x that can read from NTFS. This way you got high performance and the
> opportunity to swap files between partitions.

I use a program from Winternals called "Fat32" - it cost $39(USD) - it
allows NT to read Fat32, and works very well. - www.winternals.com

I made two partitions - like suggested above, but my Fat16 partition was
2Gb - the rest I formatted at Fat32 - I installed 98 and NT on the Fat16
partition, then installed FAT32 into NT - now it can read both drives.

Of course, for each program that uses the registry (most these days) you
need to install under both NT and 98, which can be a real pain.

HTH

Karl

Re:DUAL BOOT WIN NT WIN 98

Its probably worth investing in a copy of PartitionMagic and BootMagic, I
use this for development and have a portable with WinNT, Win95,Win98 and
Unix on for different projects on different partitions.

Regards,
Greg

Other Threads