Ado and Paradox tables

Has anyone tried to use the TADO object to work with Paradox tables, and to
move Paradox tbl to SQl server
I know how to do that using other methods like BDE, and ODBC, but through
ADO. I'm most interested in creating DSN-less connection
to a paradox tbl and try to copy it to SQL server.

Any help in this field is appreciated

regards,
Ibin

Re:Ado and Paradox tables

SQL Server 7 has an excellent migration utility for moving data between
unlike types.  From within Enterprise Manager, play around with the
import/export wizard.  I think you'll find what you need there.
r..

Ibin <ibin_a...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Has anyone tried to use the TADO object to work with Paradox tables, and
> move Paradox tbl to SQl server
> I know how to do that using other methods like BDE, and ODBC, but through
> ADO. I'm most interested in creating DSN-less connection
> to a paradox tbl and try to copy it to SQL server.

> Any help in this field is appreciated

> regards,
> Ibin

Re:Ado and Paradox tables

A neat way to do this is with DataPump and the BDE. It creates equivalent
tables in SQL Server (generates scripts for tables and indices) and then
moves the data across. Very fast and very efficient.

--
Alain Quesnel

P.S. : Remove the sans spam in my address to reply by e-mail

Ibin a crit dans le message <889ieh$i...@bornews.borland.com>...

>Has anyone tried to use the TADO object to work with Paradox tables, and to
>move Paradox tbl to SQl server
>I know how to do that using other methods like BDE, and ODBC, but through
>ADO. I'm most interested in creating DSN-less connection
>to a paradox tbl and try to copy it to SQL server.

>Any help in this field is appreciated

>regards,
>Ibin

Re:Ado and Paradox tables

I know this is not supposed to be a forum for arguments, more a forumn for
discussion and problem solution, but I have to disagree with you here Alan.
The DataPump is one of the most frustrating utilities that Borland ever
created.  It is okay if you have straight forward tables with no triggers,
sp's or anything even slightly off the wall, but for complex conversions the
DataPump will drive you NUTS.  The conversion utility that ships with SQL7
is much easier to user, and with generally better results.

r..

Alain Quesnel <alainsanss...@argosoftware.com> wrote in message

> A neat way to do this is with DataPump and the BDE. It creates equivalent
> tables in SQL Server (generates scripts for tables and indices) and then
> moves the data across. Very fast and very efficient.

> --
> Alain Quesnel

> P.S. : Remove the sans spam in my address to reply by e-mail

> Ibin a crit dans le message <889ieh$i...@bornews.borland.com>...
> >Has anyone tried to use the TADO object to work with Paradox tables, and
> >move Paradox tbl to SQl server
> >I know how to do that using other methods like BDE, and ODBC, but through
> >ADO. I'm most interested in creating DSN-less connection
> >to a paradox tbl and try to copy it to SQL server.

> >Any help in this field is appreciated

> >regards,
> >Ibin

Re:Ado and Paradox tables

Actually I was looking for a solution programmable solution using the ADO
object that ships with Delphi 5.
Thank God, I found the answer by playing around with the ADO connection
object.
Better yet, I can do it with a DSN-less connection.

Here what I have in the Connection String of the ADO connection object:
Provider=MSDASQL.1;
Persist Security Info=False;
Extended Properties="CollatingSequence=ASCII;
DefaultDir=d:\data;
Driver={Microsoft Paradox Driver (*.db )};
DriverId=538;
FIL=Paradox 5.X;
FILEDSN=;
MaxBufferSize=4096;
MaxScanRows=8;
PageTimeout=600;
ParadoxNetPath=D:\WINNT\System32;
ParadoxNetStyle=4.x;
ParadoxUserName=;
SafeTransactions=0;
Threads=3;UID=;
UserCommitSync=Yes;"

However, I think ADO connection to Paradox tables have limitations, and may
be best suited for queries only.

Ibin

Ron Brown <bigwa...@alltel.net> wrote in message

> SQL Server 7 has an excellent migration utility for moving data between
> unlike types.  From within Enterprise Manager, play around with the
> import/export wizard.  I think you'll find what you need there.
> r..

> Ibin <ibin_a...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone tried to use the TADO object to work with Paradox tables, and
> > move Paradox tbl to SQl server
> > I know how to do that using other methods like BDE, and ODBC, but
through
> > ADO. I'm most interested in creating DSN-less connection
> > to a paradox tbl and try to copy it to SQL server.

> > Any help in this field is appreciated

> > regards,
> > Ibin

Re:Ado and Paradox tables

[posted and mailed]

ibin_a...@hotmail.com (Ibin) wrote in <88emeq$l...@bornews.borland.com>:

>Actually I was looking for a solution programmable solution using the
>ADO object that ships with Delphi 5.
>Thank God, I found the answer by playing around with the ADO connection
>object.
>Better yet, I can do it with a DSN-less connection.

Am I correct in thinking that MS's Paradox drivers ONLY support upto
Paradox 5?  I have a similiar problem and need to access paradox tables
from ADO but have several Paradox 7 tables :(

--
Mark Derricutt

"People in prayer for me, everyone there for me, sometimes I feel I should
 face this alone, my soul exposed... It calm's me to know that I won't!"
 Dream Theater - Scarred

Now Playing: Sonata Arctica - Replica

Other Threads