Help in MDI Apps

I am trying to have 2 different help systems be referenced in my MDI
application.
Changes the helpfile property doe not always switch to the proper help file.
This seems true especially after a child form has been opened. I called
Borlands help line and they repeated the problem and told me that it must be
how the windows api calls are handled in an MDI app. They had me look in the
WIN32 help for
help api calls. This has not given me any help. Can anyone show me how to have
2 help systems be appearing correctly for the MDI parent form every time a help
menu item is clicked.

Rick Neubrander,  PSISD...@AOL.com

Re:Help in MDI Apps

In article <19980216142700.JAA00...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, PSISDInc
<psisd...@aol.com> writes

>I am trying to have 2 different help systems be referenced in my MDI
>application.
>Changes the helpfile property doe not always switch to the proper help file.
>This seems true especially after a child form has been opened. I called
>Borlands help line and they repeated the problem and told me that it must be
>how the windows api calls are handled in an MDI app. They had me look in the
>WIN32 help for
>help api calls. This has not given me any help. Can anyone show me how to have
>2 help systems be appearing correctly for the MDI parent form every time a help
>menu item is clicked.

I don't know what's causing this, but may I offer an alternative or
two?

Since you're targetting Win32, your help system can be composed of
multiple Help files - just like Delphi does. This will give the
help system a more seamless and integrated feel. If you're not
using MS Help Workshop, then open the delphiX.cnt file with Notepad
to see how it's done.

The second suggestion is less elegant, IMHO, but will also work.
You can call WinHelp direct, specifying the name of the help file,
for example:

  WinHelp(Application.Handle, 'myhelp1.hlp', HELP_CONTEXT, 48);

Another menu item could launch the second file in the same way:

  WinHelp(Application.Handle, 'myhelp2.hlp', HELP_FINDER, 0);

HTH
--
Jeremy Collins

Other Threads