problem w/ d4 and ms sql server 7

i've just setup sql server 7 on a nt server and the sql server odbc driver
v3.70.06.23. whenever i set up a ttable and set it to active it throws the
following error:

access violation at address 41245b65 in module 'sqlsrv32.dll'. write address
005fd3ec. i have no problem using any other application or query editor
program to use the sql server odbc except in delphi 4. i've downloaded and
install d4 patches #2 and 3 but still the same problem. after fighting this
for a couple of days i ended up completely reinstalling my pc so it
currently only has d4 installed and still the exact same error message.
anyone know what's going on? later.

james r. coplin

Re:problem w/ d4 and ms sql server 7

I am having the same problem.     D4 Professional with SP3 and
SQL 7.0.    Any access with a Borland product (Database Explorer, Database
Desktop, Delphi)v will eventually throw up with an access violation error
(IDAPI32.DLL usually, but I've also gotten the sqlsrv32.dll error  and
another that I don't remember right now.)

I called Inprise support ($$$) and it looks like the new SQL 7.0 odbc driver
has not been officially cerified to work with the BDE yet.
I suppose we have to wait on the next release of the BDE?
This did not appear to a clear answer.  One of my tables
appears to produce the error more than others, so we thought it may be a
wierd field type error - no blobs being used so I don't see why.
It could be some setup switch?

We are porting an existing application that used paradox tables to SQL 7.0.

So what is going on?  Anyone?

Re:problem w/ d4 and ms sql server 7

Don't blame this one on MS.  We too have this problem but it is just as
well.  It is best to use query component.  Also, try odbc Express component
and you can remove bde from your hard drives.  We finally resorted to this
and no regrets.

James R. Coplin wrote in message <7bpkbd$7...@forums.borland.com>...
>i've just setup sql server 7 on a nt server and the sql server odbc driver
>v3.70.06.23. whenever i set up a ttable and set it to active it throws the
>following error:

>access violation at address 41245b65 in module 'sqlsrv32.dll'. write
address
>005fd3ec. i have no problem using any other application or query editor
>program to use the sql server odbc except in delphi 4. i've downloaded and
>install d4 patches #2 and 3 but still the same problem. after fighting this
>for a couple of days i ended up completely reinstalling my pc so it
>currently only has d4 installed and still the exact same error message.
>anyone know what's going on? later.

>james r. coplin

Re:problem w/ d4 and ms sql server 7

Where does the "odbc Express" component from?
Using query instead of tables/data source works?

Re:problem w/ d4 and ms sql server 7

Yes,  The best things we have done is the following in that order
1. Go to Delphi as development tool
2. Go to sql as database engine not pardox
3. Go to TQuery (Infopower TwwQuery in our case) rather than TTable
4. Go from sql links native driver to odbc driver
5. Go to odbcExpress for direct  odbc access rather than bde
www.odbcexpress.com

If you stay with bde, use Database component and then TQuery, TDatasource.
You will need to set TQuery to Request live and you can edit, insert, etc.
Plenty of info on this group about this.

Good luck

DAVESTAR wrote in message <7bvj2m$cp...@forums.borland.com>...
>Where does the "odbc Express" component from?
>Using query instead of tables/data source works?

Re:problem w/ d4 and ms sql server 7

Hello,
try the componants from JeeSoft.
http://www.zhanjiang.gd.cn/home/jzy/
they are 99,9% compatible to the vcl ones. They have special addaitio{*word*7}
support for ms sql7 and comes with q table (master/detail) and a query (and
some others).
they are in beta, but its very robust and no BDE needed anymore.
christian

James R. Coplin schrieb in Nachricht <7bpkbd$7...@forums.borland.com>...

>i've just setup sql server 7 on a nt server and the sql server odbc driver
>v3.70.06.23. whenever i set up a ttable and set it to active it throws the
>following error:

>access violation at address 41245b65 in module 'sqlsrv32.dll'. write
address
>005fd3ec. i have no problem using any other application or query editor
>program to use the sql server odbc except in delphi 4. i've downloaded and
>install d4 patches #2 and 3 but still the same problem. after fighting this
>for a couple of days i ended up completely reinstalling my pc so it
>currently only has d4 installed and still the exact same error message.
>anyone know what's going on? later.

>james r. coplin

Re:problem w/ d4 and ms sql server 7

Thanks everyone for your help!

Re:problem w/ d4 and ms sql server 7

The problem is mainly occuring with tables having more than 20 fields or so
(> 1Ko)

I guess that the best thing to do is to use the native SQL link driver from
Borland.
I works great and more quickly.

I never got the {*word*193} message (violation access .....)  again

Good luck

----------------------------------

James R. Coplin a crit dans le message <7bpkbd$7...@forums.borland.com>...

>i've just setup sql server 7 on a nt server and the sql server odbc driver
>v3.70.06.23. whenever i set up a ttable and set it to active it throws the
>following error:

>access violation at address 41245b65 in module 'sqlsrv32.dll'. write
address
>005fd3ec. i have no problem using any other application or query editor
>program to use the sql server odbc except in delphi 4. i've downloaded and
>install d4 patches #2 and 3 but still the same problem. after fighting this
>for a couple of days i ended up completely reinstalling my pc so it
>currently only has d4 installed and still the exact same error message.
>anyone know what's going on? later.

>james r. coplin

Other Threads