Brian Bushay (TeamB)

I have an MS-Access table!
If I use the Query to use the ORDER BY
And want to save the table in the ascending order
What to do?
Witch BDE API Function can I use with  MS-Access?
Where to read about this functions?

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Best regards,
Christer

Re:Brian Bushay (TeamB)

As Brian says, BDE connects to Microsoft Access in the same way that it
connects to any SQL-compliant database.  It quickly passes-off control
to the [ODBC] driver for that particular database, and from that point
on "it's up to that database, not BDE."

There are basically two kinds of SQL queries:  those that produce
result-sets and those that do not.  Notice, though, that I say
"produce," not "save."  An SQL query that produces a result-set will
make that set of records available for browsing until that query is
closed.  An SQL query that does not produce a result-set (what are
sometimes called "DML" [Data Manipulation Language] queries, like CREATE
TABLE) is simply a command for the database engine to perform some
action.

Many database engines, including Access, can be commanded to produce a
new table in the database (the MS-Access database, in this case)
containing the results of a particular query.  Once this query has been
executed, the table can be opened if you wish.  But always remember that
it is the "foreign" database engine (MS-Access), not BDE itself, that is
doing all the work and making all the rules.

The SQL standard provides the "ORDER BY" clause to proscribe the
ordering that is to be applied to records, whether you are "making a
table" of them or producing a result-set for browsing.

But "save the table?"  If you want to save that table as a Paradox
"ANSWER" table then you will have to write programs to do that because
BDE won't do that on its own; it's not talking to the Paradox
database-engine after all... it's talking to MS-Access, who knows
nothing about "ANSWER" tables.

>Brian Bushay TeamB wrote:

> >I have an MS-Access table!
> >If I use the Query to use the ORDER BY
> >And want to save the table in the ascending order
> >What to do?
> >Witch BDE API Function can I use with  MS-Access?
> >Where to read about this functions?

> There are not specific BDE API functions for Access.
> BDE treats Access as another  SQL backend.

> You can run a query using the Syntax that Access uses for a Make-Table Query
> Use ExecSQL to run this type of query since it does not return a dataset.

> Why =shouldn't= it be quick and easy to keep your database online?
> http://www.sundialservices.com/cs3web.htm

Re:Brian Bushay (TeamB)

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)