Looking for code to get e-mail trturn receipt in e-mail program

I'm writing an e-mail program and need to add a function where the
user has the option to receive receipts when the receiver has read the
e-mail.
Does anyone know of any code for this function. I can't find it in any
of the Delphi 5 modules such as MNSMTP.

regards Brian
bcl...@es.co.nz

Re:Looking for code to get e-mail trturn receipt in e-mail program

You'll have to write it yourself, it is always an option.  The header
is called:

'Disposition-Notification-To'

Microsoft, wanting to always do things their own way, does not use
this RFC header for OutLook98 but instead dreamed up their own which
you may or may not want to support:

'Return-Receipt-To'

You should add the top header to outgoing (SMTP) email if you want the
recipient to acknowledge they have read the email.  Of course, having
no idea what email client the recipient is using means it may not
parse headers for this header or it may and offer the recipient the
option of not responding.

Ralph Freshour
MailEase
www.mailease.com
www.primemail..com

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000 21:18:52 GMT, u...@anonous.com (Sam) wrote:
>I'm writing an e-mail program and need to add a function where the
>user has the option to receive receipts when the receiver has read the
>e-mail.
>Does anyone know of any code for this function. I can't find it in any
>of the Delphi 5 modules such as MNSMTP.

>regards Brian
>bcl...@es.co.nz

Re:Looking for code to get e-mail trturn receipt in e-mail program

Thanks for your help Ralph,
                                              I was pleased that you
were able to tell me  how it worked. I am new to delphi and would
welcome any example code for this procedure.

regards Brian
bcl...@es.co.nz

On 25 Jan 2000 21:26:09 EST, ra...@primemail.com (Ralph Freshour)
wrote:

>You'll have to write it yourself, it is always an option.  The header
>is called:

>'Disposition-Notification-To'

>Microsoft, wanting to always do things their own way, does not use
>this RFC header for OutLook98 but instead dreamed up their own which
>you may or may not want to support:

>'Return-Receipt-To'

>You should add the top header to outgoing (SMTP) email if you want the
>recipient to acknowledge they have read the email.  Of course, having
>no idea what email client the recipient is using means it may not
>parse headers for this header or it may and offer the recipient the
>option of not responding.

>Ralph Freshour
>MailEase
>www.mailease.com
>www.primemail..com

>On Sat, 22 Jan 2000 21:18:52 GMT, u...@anonous.com (Sam) wrote:

>>I'm writing an e-mail program and need to add a function where the
>>user has the option to receive receipts when the receiver has read the
>>e-mail.
>>Does anyone know of any code for this function. I can't find it in any
>>of the Delphi 5 modules such as MNSMTP.

>>regards Brian
>>bcl...@es.co.nz

Other Threads