D4 Access violation Quickreports reading MS Access

Although I have set up tables to read MS Access files succesfully in a
dbgrid, as soon as I attempt to preview the simplest of report with
Quickreport I get the message 'Access violation at address 0044728E2 in
module DAO350.DLL. Read of address FFFFFFF.
The program then crashes. Please can anyone help?

Re:D4 Access violation Quickreports reading MS Access

Do not use expression fields in quick reports with your
version. Try using a calc field in the table/query.
Phil Brightman wrote in message <369F760C.B9084...@Compuserve.com>...
>Although I have set up tables to read MS Access files succesfully in a
>dbgrid, as soon as I attempt to preview the simplest of report with
>Quickreport I get the message 'Access violation at address 0044728E2 in
>module DAO350.DLL. Read of address FFFFFFF.
>The program then crashes. Please can anyone help?

Re:D4 Access violation Quickreports reading MS Access

Thanks for your answer but it does not solve the problem. All that the
report consists of is a TQuickrep with the dataset set to an Access Table
and a detail band with a single qrdbText,  linked to a field of the same
table. As soon as preview is called the error occurs. Any other ideas
please?
William Riddell wrote:
> Do not use expression fields in quick reports with your
> version. Try using a calc field in the table/query.

> Phil Brightman wrote in message <369F760C.B9084...@Compuserve.com>...
> >Although I have set up tables to read MS Access files succesfully in a
> >dbgrid, as soon as I attempt to preview the simplest of report with
> >Quickreport I get the message 'Access violation at address 0044728E2 in
> >module DAO350.DLL. Read of address FFFFFFF.
> >The program then crashes. Please can anyone help?

Re:D4 Access violation Quickreports reading MS Access

How about switching to Report Builder. :)

Actually, if you are getting Access Violations you should
check what version of QR you are using.  The latest is
at their web site.  Also, for report questions, there is
a "borland.public.delphi.reporting-charting" newsgroup
where such questions are more likely to be answered.

As they say, cheers.

Phil Brightman wrote in message <369FB1EC.D61AE...@Compuserve.com>...
>Thanks for your answer but it does not solve the problem. All that the
>report consists of is a TQuickrep with the dataset set to an Access Table
>and a detail band with a single qrdbText,  linked to a field of the same
>table. As soon as preview is called the error occurs. Any other ideas
>please?

>William Riddell wrote:

>> Do not use expression fields in quick reports with your
>> version. Try using a calc field in the table/query.

>> Phil Brightman wrote in message <369F760C.B9084...@Compuserve.com>...
>> >Although I have set up tables to read MS Access files succesfully in a
>> >dbgrid, as soon as I attempt to preview the simplest of report with
>> >Quickreport I get the message 'Access violation at address 0044728E2 in
>> >module DAO350.DLL. Read of address FFFFFFF.
>> >The program then crashes. Please can anyone help?

Re:D4 Access violation Quickreports reading MS Access

Phil,
the problem is that qr is threaded and the jet dll is not, so you have to
download the fix for qr or (and i stronglyadvice you do to so) look for
somthing else (reportprinter pro www.nevrona.com)
cu
marc
Phil Brightman wrote in message <369F760C.B9084...@Compuserve.com>...
>Although I have set up tables to read MS Access files succesfully in a
>dbgrid, as soon as I attempt to preview the simplest of report with
>Quickreport I get the message 'Access violation at address 0044728E2 in
>module DAO350.DLL. Read of address FFFFFFF.
>The program then crashes. Please can anyone help?

Re:D4 Access violation Quickreports reading MS Access

Marc
Thanks for your advice. Actually I am a registered QR user as I bought it for
D1 so I should be able to get something from them. It sounds as if you are
not keen on QReports. Any particular reason as I have been using it for some
time now with D1 and am used to it.
Marc Antheunis wrote:
> Phil,
> the problem is that qr is threaded and the jet dll is not, so you have to
> download the fix for qr or (and i stronglyadvice you do to so) look for
> somthing else (reportprinter pro www.nevrona.com)
> cu
> marc
> Phil Brightman wrote in message <369F760C.B9084...@Compuserve.com>...
> >Although I have set up tables to read MS Access files succesfully in a
> >dbgrid, as soon as I attempt to preview the simplest of report with
> >Quickreport I get the message 'Access violation at address 0044728E2 in
> >module DAO350.DLL. Read of address FFFFFFF.
> >The program then crashes. Please can anyone help?

Re:D4 Access violation Quickreports reading MS Access

Thanks for your advice. I will look into a new QR version.
William Riddell wrote:
> How about switching to Report Builder. :)

> Actually, if you are getting Access Violations you should
> check what version of QR you are using.  The latest is
> at their web site.  Also, for report questions, there is
> a "borland.public.delphi.reporting-charting" newsgroup
> where such questions are more likely to be answered.

> As they say, cheers.

> Phil Brightman wrote in message <369FB1EC.D61AE...@Compuserve.com>...
> >Thanks for your answer but it does not solve the problem. All that the
> >report consists of is a TQuickrep with the dataset set to an Access Table
> >and a detail band with a single qrdbText,  linked to a field of the same
> >table. As soon as preview is called the error occurs. Any other ideas
> >please?

> >William Riddell wrote:

> >> Do not use expression fields in quick reports with your
> >> version. Try using a calc field in the table/query.

Re:D4 Access violation Quickreports reading MS Access

Phil,
I had the same problem (actually on both preview and print).  The problem
disappeared after I did the following:

(1)  Download and install the QR 3.04 standard release.
(2)  Do a complete rebuild on any projects that were experiencing the error.

At that point the problem vanished.

What is really strange is that the problem never manifested itself at home
where I have D 4.02 Pro, BDE 5.01 (latest update) and QR 3.03 (since
upgraded to QR 3.04).  It did, however, bite me at work where I have D 4.02
client/server, BDE 5.01 and QR 3.03.  As stated above, the problem
disappeared at work once I installed QR 3.04 (which I have done at home and
at work) and rebuilt the affected projects.

BTW, I also registered QR 1.0x way back when, before it was even included as
part of the Delphi distribution.  I can't even get a reply out of QuSoft now
so don't hold your breath expecting any direct help from them.  I don't know
if Allen Lochert is still with the company or not but they certainly seemed
much more willing to talk to users when he was.

Best advise, download and install QR 3.04 then do a complete rebuild of your
project.  DAO is not thread-safe as someone else pointed out but I think
there is more going on here than just a threading problem since the error
doesn't affect everyone or every D4 installation (even with identical code
in your project).  As I said above, QR 3.03 worked perfectly at home with
Access 97/BDE but crashed with an AV at work with almost identical code in
my projects.  There are 3 major differences between the two machines that I
can identify:

(1)  I have D 4.02 Pro at home, D 4.02 client/server at work.
(2)  I run Win98 at home, Win95 at work.
(3)  I've never had Access 95 installed at home, both Access 95 and Access
2.0 have been installed on the machine at work.

I don't know if any of these matter or not.

--
==================================
Ray Porter

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"

Phil Brightman wrote in message <36A0696D.1C214...@Compuserve.com>...
>Marc
>Thanks for your advice. Actually I am a registered QR user as I bought it
for
>D1 so I should be able to get something from them. It sounds as if you are
>not keen on QReports. Any particular reason as I have been using it for
some
>time now with D1 and am used to it.

>Marc Antheunis wrote:

>> Phil,
>> the problem is that qr is threaded and the jet dll is not, so you have to
>> download the fix for qr or (and i stronglyadvice you do to so) look for
>> somthing else (reportprinter pro www.nevrona.com)
>> cu
>> marc
>> Phil Brightman wrote in message <369F760C.B9084...@Compuserve.com>...
>> >Although I have set up tables to read MS Access files succesfully in a
>> >dbgrid, as soon as I attempt to preview the simplest of report with
>> >Quickreport I get the message 'Access violation at address 0044728E2 in
>> >module DAO350.DLL. Read of address FFFFFFF.
>> >The program then crashes. Please can anyone help?

Other Threads