CORRECTION to previous post on ASCII tables

After experimenting with creating text ODBC drivers in the Borland
Configuration Utility, I found that all I had to do was create a new
driver called ODBC_Text, select Microsoft's text driver from the drop
down list and that was it. I could now query any ASCII text file table
from within the BDE. It could not be any simpler than that (IF you have
the Microsoft drivers).

However, I selected the wrong default LANGDRIVER. The default, of
course, should be PARADOX. My apologies to anybody who followed the steps
I outlined in prior posts.

BTW, this ODBC_Text driver handles ANY text file whether fixed-width,
comma-delimited or tab-delimited.  However, it works best with fixed
width.  Why? Because if you have a comma- or tab-delimited file, many
fields are assigned the MAXIMUM width of 255 when the width you
envisioned might only be 8.  The result: a huge file that is very
difficult, if not impossible, to work with.

I also found a technical paper at Borlands' site that describes in detail
how to set up an ascii table using schema.  I didn't read it.
But if you need to work with ASCII tables from within an application,
then this paper is probably required reading for you. Frankly, I think it
would be a lot simpler to create an old-fashioned Pascal record structure
and read the file as pascal records. You can then either work with the
pascal record's fields or copy the fields to a database. If you use the
pascal records and ignore the BDE, your program will use considerably
less memory and produce much faster code.

There is no information about this that comes with Delphi2. I did a
very thorough search months ago, and there isn't a clue in any Delphi2
file or manual about how to access ASCII table files.

Tables that come from external sources are often in ASCII format as it is
assumed that this format is universally able to be converted into native
format by ANY software. Delphi is the only database software that can't
read an ASCII file and convert it to its native format.