BDE 5.01 Upgrade on the Inprise Web Site

To: BDE Customers
From: John Kaster, Enterprise Product Manager, Inprise Corporation.

Inprise is pleased to announce that an upgrade installation of the Borland
Database Engine version 5.01 is available for download on our web site.  BDE
5.01 contains many new features and performance improvements we are sure you
will find valuable.  This is a slightly newer version of the BDE than the
version included with Delphi 4 web update #2.  The only difference is the
performance improvements for Microsoft Access.

New BDE features include:
New SQL Links driver for IBM DB2 V5
Fix for rounding errors on BCD types
Fix for Oracle stored procedures
Performance Improvements for DbiModifyRecord
Performance Improvements for Microsoft Access
Improvements for Paradox
Other bug fixes
Important Update Notes:
This update will only replace BDE files on a system that already includes an
older BDE version. This is an update program, not an installation program.
Only files found in the registered BDE directory will be updated. For example,
if you do not have SQL Links in the registered BDE directory, SQL Links will not
be placed on the system. This is also true for the BDE32.HLP file, Data Pump,
MIDAS, and the BDE cab file.
If you choose to install to a different directory, not overwriting the current
BDE, make sure you change all shortcuts from the old BDEADMIN.EXE to the new
BDEADMIN.EXE in the new directory. This will allow the new features to be set
correctly (dBASE level 7 and MSACCESS DAO 3.5).
Existing BDE configuration files are not updated.  However, we do recommend
backing up the configuration file before performing the upgrade.  We also
recommend installing the new version over the old version, rather than putting
it into a new directory.
BDE 5 has not yet been certified for Intrabuilder. Using BDE 5 with this
product is not recommended, and is not supported by Inprise at this time
If you're installing on Windows 98, some systems running Client for NetWare
Networks may experience problems when using the "Browse" button to install to a
non-default BDE directory. More information and possible workarounds can be
found in the InstallShield Knowledge Base Article Q102400 on
http:\\support.installshield.com.

Thank you for your support. The downloadable copy of this BDE upgrade install is
available from http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/bde/bdeupdate.html. For further
information or details on the changes to the BDE, please visit our web site at
http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/bde/.

For those of you in the US, Happy Thanksgiving and I hope this is something
you'll be thankful for <g>.

John Kaster, Enterprise Product Manager
Please post MIDAS-related messages in inprise.public.midas

Re:BDE 5.01 Upgrade on the Inprise Web Site

Please can you tell me what is the different to the german version from BDE
5.0.
Is it possible to update from the german version to version to 5.01 without
problems or will inprise bring up an german Version soon

Please excuse my English

thanks

Hans

John Kaster schrieb in Nachricht <365dc009.2996...@forums.inprise.com>...

>To: BDE Customers
>From: John Kaster, Enterprise Product Manager, Inprise Corporation.

http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/bde/bdeupdate.html. For further
>information or details on the changes to the BDE, please visit our web site
at
>http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/bde/.

Re:BDE 5.01 Upgrade on the Inprise Web Site

Hans,

There will be a German version coming out soon.  I don't handle International
releases for the BDE, so I don't know a date offhand yet.

>Please can you tell me what is the different to the german version from BDE
>5.0.

All the stuff listed on www.inprise.com/devsupport/bde tells the differences
between the versions.
>Is it possible to update from the german version to version to 5.01 without
>problems or will inprise bring up an german Version soon

That's a good question I don't know the answer to.  I rarely work with the
International versions myself.  I think most of the locale files would be
separate from the DLLs the update install would create, but I can't be sure.
Perhaps someone else here with direct experience could tell you.

>Please excuse my English

Please excuse my not knowing the answer to your questions.

John Kaster, Enterprise Product Manager
Please post MIDAS-related messages in inprise.public.midas

Re:BDE 5.01 Upgrade on the Inprise Web Site

Does 5.01 still have the "limit" of max 10 procedures in an Oracle 8
database?
John Kaster wrote:

> To: BDE Customers
> From: John Kaster, Enterprise Product Manager, Inprise Corporation.

Re:BDE 5.01 Upgrade on the Inprise Web Site

John -
I've been seeing the D4U2 version of the BDE referred to as 5.01, and
now there is a "slightly newer version of the BDE" also called 5.01.
Was the D4U2 version actually 5.01?  If so, I'd like to again request
that Inprise change the version number to reflect actual releases of
code.  If not, never mind...

Jack

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998 20:58:56 GMT, jkaster.no.s...@inprise.com (John

Kaster) wrote:
>To: BDE Customers
>From: John Kaster, Enterprise Product Manager, Inprise Corporation.

>Inprise is pleased to announce that an upgrade installation of the Borland
>Database Engine version 5.01 is available for download on our web site.  BDE
>5.01 contains many new features and performance improvements we are sure you
>will find valuable.  This is a slightly newer version of the BDE than the
>version included with Delphi 4 web update #2.  The only difference is the
>performance improvements for Microsoft Access.

<SNIP>

Re:BDE 5.01 Upgrade on the Inprise Web Site

Max 10 parameters vice procedures?

V/R
Russell L. Smith

Fredrik Larsson

>Does 5.01 still have the "limit" of max 10 procedures in an Oracle 8

Re:BDE 5.01 Upgrade on the Inprise Web Site

Version information (VERSIONINFO) of the D4UP2 BDE files shows 5.0.1.22.

V/R
Russell L. Smith

Jack V. Johnson wrote in message <365ec37c.80888...@forums.inprise.com>...
>I've been seeing the D4U2 version of the BDE referred to as 5.01, and
>now there is a "slightly newer version of the BDE" also called 5.01.
>Was the D4U2 version actually 5.01?  If so, I'd like to again request

Re:BDE 5.01 Upgrade on the Inprise Web Site

Jack,

If we had done more changes than just that Access fix, we would have made a more
significant version change.  As was mentioned in another message, you can get
the exact version number with a call or by going into BDE Admin, right mouse
clicking on any alias, and selecting the version information, and it will say
the detailed version you have, past the 5.0.1.

I wanted to get the Access fix out in the patch due to the issue being raised
here on the forums, so we "snuck" it into the upgrade install.  Otherwise, that
fix would have had to wait until the next version of the BDE, which won't ship
until our next development tool ships.

If you don't need the Access fix, you can continue to use the 5.01 that shipped
with Delphi Web Update #2.

>Was the D4U2 version actually 5.01?  If so, I'd like to again request
>that Inprise change the version number to reflect actual releases of
>code.  If not, never mind...

John Kaster, Enterprise Product Manager
Please post MIDAS-related messages in inprise.public.midas

Re:BDE 5.01 Upgrade on the Inprise Web Site

Yeah that one! But I read the readme-file and it is still there... :(
"Russell L. Smith" wrote:

> Max 10 parameters vice procedures?

> V/R
> Russell L. Smith

> Fredrik Larsson
> >Does 5.01 still have the "limit" of max 10 procedures in an Oracle 8

Re:BDE 5.01 Upgrade on the Inprise Web Site

Is BDE 5.* compatible with D3.02?

Re:BDE 5.01 Upgrade on the Inprise Web Site

This is THANKSGIVING indeed!  So thanks for giving us 5.01!

Re:BDE 5.01 Upgrade on the Inprise Web Site

1- Is there way to get the MS-Access DLL's only?

2- Does the Access performance fix resolve an issue with Master-details over
queries?  We have an Delphi-Access app that ran fine over 5.0, but installed
5.01 on client site and it runs 100 times slower!  We will have to revert
the 5.01 upgrade (if new drivers don't fix it) or recode that part of the
application using a different technique.

Paul

John Kaster wrote in message <365dc009.2996...@forums.inprise.com>...
> [...]

to a
>non-default BDE directory. More information and possible workarounds can be
>found in the InstallShield Knowledge Base Article Q102400 on
>http:\\support.installshield.com.

>Thank you for your support. The downloadable copy of this BDE upgrade
install is
>available from http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/bde/bdeupdate.html. For
further
>information or details on the changes to the BDE, please visit our web site
at
>http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/bde/.

>For those of you in the US, Happy Thanksgiving and I hope this is something
>you'll be thankful for <g>.

>John Kaster, Enterprise Product Manager
>Please post MIDAS-related messages in inprise.public.midas

Re:BDE 5.01 Upgrade on the Inprise Web Site

Let's call it 5.01+

Fredrik Larsson <"remove all blanks frla "@ im dot se sorry for the trouble
this causes .se>

>Yeah that one! But I read the readme-file and it is still there... :(

>"Russell L. Smith" wrote:

>> Max 10 parameters vice procedures?

>> V/R
>> Russell L. Smith

>> Fredrik Larsson
>> >Does 5.01 still have the "limit" of max 10 procedures in an Oracle 8

Re:BDE 5.01 Upgrade on the Inprise Web Site

Paul,

>1- Is there way to get the MS-Access DLL's only?

No.  The BDE CAB file and install have been updated, so it's all one download.
>2- Does the Access performance fix resolve an issue with Master-details over
>queries?

I would suggest trying it, but I wasn't tracking this problem myself so I don't
know if there's still an issue.  (Didn't even know there was one!)

John Kaster, Enterprise Product Manager
Please post MIDAS-related messages in inprise.public.midas

Re:BDE 5.01 Upgrade on the Inprise Web Site

uuuuh! Yessss.

This new version has fixed the problem.  Reading between the lines of the
readme.txt file it looks like you put the code back in that was in 5.0.  We
found 5.0 fine and 5.01 very slow.  This new 5.01 is fine.

This error in the first 5.01 landed me with extreme egg on my face.  I wish
I tested it more before installing it at a customers site.  I was back on
site 2 days later with something that ran in 2 minutes taking 10 hours to
run!  It's now back to 2 minutes.

Paul

John Kaster wrote in message <3662c0f8.1913...@forums.inprise.com>...
>Paul,

>>1- Is there way to get the MS-Access DLL's only?
>No.  The BDE CAB file and install have been updated, so it's all one
download.
>>2- Does the Access performance fix resolve an issue with Master-details
over
>>queries?
>I would suggest trying it, but I wasn't tracking this problem myself so I
don't
>know if there's still an issue.  (Didn't even know there was one!)

>John Kaster, Enterprise Product Manager
>Please post MIDAS-related messages in inprise.public.midas

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads