Delphi 4 won't debug COM servers?

I'm running under NT 4 SP3. When I start the host application,
the de{*word*81} doesn't stop in my server. But what is
stranger is that, D4 won't let me put any breakpoints in the
code. I mean after building the project there aren't any blue
points on the left of the editor, except on the begin statement
of the .dpr, which disappears when I hit F9. And I found that the
multi-process debugging doesn't step beyond CoCreateInstance.
Any ideas?

Juan

Re:Delphi 4 won't debug COM servers?

jua...@nospam.cvtci.com.ar wrote:

> I'm running under NT 4 SP3. When I start the host application,
> the de{*word*81} doesn't stop in my server. But what is
> stranger is that, D4 won't let me put any breakpoints in the
> code. I mean after building the project there aren't any blue
> points on the left of the editor, except on the begin statement
> of the .dpr, which disappears when I hit F9. And I found that the
> multi-process debugging doesn't step beyond CoCreateInstance.
> Any ideas?

> Juan

That seems like a code generation problem. First of all, is your code an
in-process DLL server or a local EXE server? Is it a new project or a
transferred project from Delphi 3 (I've heard some people having IDE
problems because they forgot to delete the data files used by the D3 IDE
when transferring to D4 [such as the .dof files]).

Check with your COM component; is it properly being registered. If not,
then the code optimization features may have cut it out.

As a last resort, try starting a bare bones project with a single empty
component and seeing if you can get code lines generated for it, then
cut and paste sections of your other project's code in to see if it
still works.

--
Paul Gilbert, Year 5 Bach App Sci, Bach Eng at RMIT Melbourne, Australia

Other Threads