Changes on Paradox Tables (Delphi V3 Pro - Paradox)

I want to change the tables of mi application, adding new fields or adding
new referential info, but I already have users working with the old versin,
with old tables with data loaded in.

?How can update the tables in the next installation of my application?

Thanks!

Sky.
[==========|>
E-Mail: skyfight...@usa.net
[==========|>

Re:Changes on Paradox Tables (Delphi V3 Pro - Paradox)

Hi Sky,
adding or dropping fields is easy,
just use tquery with
Alter table "mytable" add .....
(or Alter table "mytable" drop .....)
SQL.  For syntax refer to the local SQL documentation.
Changing referential integrity or changing validity checks is more
complicated-
you will have to use dbiDoRestructure BDE API call. For syntax and use see
BDE API help or consult Borland web page for examples.
One thing to remember - adding referential integrity to already
populated tables may fail due to the integrity violation - the users might
have
entered unmatched records to the tables without integrity check.
--
Roman
KRE...@mbox.cesnet.cz

SkyFighter One wrote in message <6e8mg3$d...@forums.borland.com>...
>I want to change the tables of mi application, adding new fields or adding
>new referential info, but I already have users working with the old
versin,
>with old tables with data loaded in.

>?How can update the tables in the next installation of my application?

>Thanks!

>Sky.
>[==========|>
>E-Mail: skyfight...@usa.net
>[==========|>

Re:Changes on Paradox Tables (Delphi V3 Pro - Paradox)

Hi,

I have done this by writting an application that batch moves the records
from one database to another. The method is as follows -

1. Get your old database.
2. Get your new data base - with additional fields.
3. Get your application to "move" the records from one to another.

I tried to do the alter table bits in the BDE API but this was far more
work. You may need some special bits to do any specific changes to field
values required by the application. You may also wany to write a utility to
blank your database. This will give you a clear position for the new data
base.

SkyFighter One wrote in message <6e8mg3$d...@forums.borland.com>...
>I want to change the tables of mi application, adding new fields or adding
>new referential info, but I already have users working with the old
versin,
>with old tables with data loaded in.

>?How can update the tables in the next installation of my application?

>Thanks!

>Sky.
>E-Mail: skyfight...@usa.net

Other Threads