Windows95 DOS box detection

Steven J. Tucker wrote:
> Is walking the MCB to discover the 'vmm32' and 'win' entries a foolproof
>  way to detect windows95 and NT?

You're probably better off using interrupt calls.  Check out references to Win
95 under the multiplex interrupt (int 2fh).  For more details, a Windows
programming group is probably more on-topic to ask.

> Anyone know what int 21/5200 returns on non-microsoft systems, like 4DOS, etc?

I believe this call is provided by the kernel, not the shell.  User shell is
irrelevant.  The call returns identical reults when called within a
COMMAND.COM or 4DOS shell (but is likely a moot point, since the shell should
have no relevance to this call).

> My code works great on dos and windows, but will that int crash other systems?

Any system that supports int 21h calls for DOS compatibility should return an
error 01h (function number invalid) if it's not supported.

> Steve
> --
>    * * *   Author of Imagic and APE - The Atari Peripheral Emulator!   * * *
>    * * *       Turn your 8-bit Atari into a powerhouse with APE!       * * *
>   *  *  *         Ape Homepage: http://www.nacs.net/~classics         *  *  *
>  !! Request my *FOR SALE* LISTING OF CLASSIC VIDEO GAME STUFF !! 2000+ Lines !!

Re:Windows95 DOS box detection

On 2 Feb 1998 01:41:31 GMT, ai...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Steven J.

Tucker) wrote:
>Is walking the MCB to discover the 'vmm32' and 'win' entries a foolproof
> way to detect windows95 and NT?

Never assume that anything written by MS is foolproof.

>Anyone know what int 21/5200 returns on non-microsoft systems, like 4DOS, etc?

5200 or 52?  Brown and Kyle don't list a 5200 under MS Dos kernel.
--
Al - aklein at villagenet dot com

Other Threads