Current VCLs and their future under Delphi32

Most of our developers are busying to search and add vcls to our library.
I am just wandoering what will happen to the library we built up today
under Delphi32.

Borland  said that the Delphi 1.0 code can be recompiled under Delphi32
with the 'minimum' modification. However, I bet many native components
come with Delphi are now under an major renovation (e.g. the buggy
TDBGrid). This might affect the VCLs derived from Delphi 1.0 VCLs. The
question is: what will happen to the VCLs in our current library (it
might contain some third party commerical VCLs).

Can they be really 'SCALED UP' to DELPHI32 or we have to TRASH them?

D.L.

Re:Current VCLs and their future under Delphi32

In article <[email protected]>, dadingli says...

>Most of our developers are busying to search and add vcls to our library.
>I am just wandoering what will happen to the library we built up today
>under Delphi32.

>Borland  said that the Delphi 1.0 code can be recompiled under Delphi32
>with the 'minimum' modification. However, I bet many native components
>come with Delphi are now under an major renovation (e.g. the buggy
>TDBGrid). This might affect the VCLs derived from Delphi 1.0 VCLs. The
>question is: what will happen to the VCLs in our current library (it
>might contain some third party commerical VCLs).

>Can they be really 'SCALED UP' to DELPHI32 or we have to TRASH them?

>D.L.

I am guessing that since VCLs are written in Delphi, and the compiler is
designed to compile them, then if you recompile the source code, voila,
you should have a 32Bit VCL.

Is your point along the lines that you do not have the source code?
Kirk Wolak
[email protected]
//
// Const ViewsExpressed = "My own and not those of the company I work for!";
//

Re:Current VCLs and their future under Delphi32

On 3 Sep 1995 17:36:14 GMT, Dading Li <dadingli> wrote:

Hi!! Dading:

>Borland  said that the Delphi 1.0 code can be recompiled under Delphi32
>with the 'minimum' modification. However, I bet many native components
>come with Delphi are now under an major renovation (e.g. the buggy
>TDBGrid). This might affect the VCLs derived from Delphi 1.0 VCLs. The
>question is: what will happen to the VCLs in our current library (it
>might contain some third party commerical VCLs).

>Can they be really 'SCALED UP' to DELPHI32 or we have to TRASH them?

Borland saied that if your app. doesn't contain 16-bit pointer
operation, in-line assembly, and Windows 3.1 APIs, the source
code of your app. could be recompiled under Delphi-32
'consistently'. I suppose this condition should be applied to the
VCL components you built or derived. So... don't mention it as
a tragedy.

Regards,
        James Chang
---
James Chang
Technical Consultant, Taiwan Delphi User Group

Other Threads