news reader

The Delphi6\Demos\Indy\NewsReader often freeze up after download the
discussion groups. Does anyone know a better news reader program?

stukan
stu...@netvigator.com

Re:news reader

I prefer Agent (from www.forte-inc.com) but if it's unavailable, I use
Outlook express ...

Duh, that should have been www.forteinc.com ;-)

"Peter Henriksen" <neskirneh_re...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I prefer Agent (from www.forte-inc.com) but if it's unavailable, I use
> Outlook express ...

Re:news reader

In article <3bcf158f_2@dnews>, Stuart Kan wrote:
> Does anyone know a better news reader program?

There's a free newsreader available on my website.  It's written in
Delphi 6, uses Indy, and comes with source code.

It's not feature complete yet, but it works, and it's better than the
Demos\Indy\NewsReader one!

Colin
e-mail :co...@wilsonc.demon.co.uk
web: http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

Re:news reader

> The Delphi6\Demos\Indy\NewsReader often freeze up after download the
> discussion groups. Does anyone know a better news reader program?

Try ICS newsreader demo.
Download full freeware source code from http://www.overbyte.be

--
francois.pie...@overbyte.be
http://www.overbyte.be

Re:news reader

I meant source code for news reader. Colin Wilson
<co...@wilsonc.demon.co.uk> and francois.pie...@overbyte.be has provided
exactly hat I need. And Thanks.

 stukan
 stu...@netvigator.com

> The Delphi6\Demos\Indy\NewsReader often freeze up after download the
> discussion groups. Does anyone know a better news reader program?

> stukan
> stu...@netvigator.com

Re:news reader

"Colin Wilson" <co...@wilsonc.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> There's a free newsreader available on my website.  It's written in
> Delphi 6, uses Indy, and comes with source code.

> It's not feature complete yet, but it works, and it's better than the
> Demos\Indy\NewsReader one!

My brother undertook the design of a newsreader a few years ago, but said he
was baffled when he tried to locate standards for attachments. Since you
have handled at least some of the issues there, can you point to a reference
or references for the attachment mechanisms?

Thanks,

Bill

Re:news reader

In article <3bd09ad1_1@dnews>, William Meyer wrote:
> My brother undertook the design of a newsreader a few years ago, but said he
> was baffled when he tried to locate standards for attachments.

You need to do a Google search for 'nntp attachment rfc' and you get a bunch
of stuff, but you also need to test everything in the 'real world', because de
facto standards seem to have evolved.

Basically there seem to be two sorts of attachments, UU Encoded attachments
(usually a single picture) - and MIME attachments.  The UUEncoded attachments
have a message body, follwed by a blank line, followed by
begin nnn filename.ext, the UU Encoded data, and terminated by 'end'

Mime messages can be hugely complicated, they can contain ,multiple sections
and multiple attachments, with instructions to display images inline or simply
present them as an attachment, HTML sections, etc. etc.  It's (sort of)
described in RFC 1521.

I'm not very good at decoding, and I'm sure Indy is better.  The reason I use
my own code for this is I need to display images so that they build up as they
arrive - rather than wait for the entire image once I've received the whole
thing.  That doesn't seem to be possible with Indy.

Colin
e-mail :co...@wilsonc.demon.co.uk
web: http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

Other Threads