Interbase and Internet Question

Hello,

Does anyone know how suitable Interbase is for Internet use? I don't mean as
the backend to a WWW Server, I'm looking at products like Midware and
dbOvernet versus installing the Interbase client along with the application
and connecting directly to a Server with IBX.

Are both approaches feasible, which one would provide the better performance
and is this a decent idea, or am I suffering severe brain cramp??

Regards

Eric

Re:Interbase and Internet Question

"Eric Walmsley" <er...@ksoft.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Does anyone know how suitable Interbase is for Internet use? I don't mean
as
> the backend to a WWW Server, I'm looking at products like Midware and
> dbOvernet versus installing the Interbase client along with the
application
> and connecting directly to a Server with IBX.

if you plan to use interbase over the internet, implementing Multitier
architecture would be a better idea rather than conventional C/S. there are
MIDAS, CORBA, or using another 3rd party-tools like dbOvernet & ASTA. i have
tried dbOvenet, but got a nightmare since created MiddAPP could be simply
hacked just by a conventional telnet applications, but you could implement
an encrypted connection mode using it (i haven't try it). AFAIK ASTA has a
better approach to implement a secure MiddApp.

HTH,

-Jaimy Azle
--
Jaimy Azle | Principle Developer
Center of Computer Development System

Re:Interbase and Internet Question

I succeeded in using IB6 over internet connection.  It works well with a
fast connection (cable or DSL).  But keep in mind that the network traffic
is not secured and that you have to limit it to the minimum possible.
A 3 thier architecture may be better suited for this, but I didn't have time
to do it (and no time to learn it).  I just tried it and it was fast enough
for our client needs.

"Eric Walmsley" <er...@ksoft.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Hello,

> Does anyone know how suitable Interbase is for Internet use?

Its not designed to be used like that so is very unsuitable imho.
Performance is slow and insecure.  Have you looked at datasnap (MIDAS)?

Cheers, James.

Re:Interbase and Internet Question

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm going to check out some of the n-Tier
options.

Cheers

Eric

"James Thomas" <j.tho...@nospam.ioe.ac.uk> wrote in message

> "Eric Walmsley" <er...@ksoft.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hello,

> > Does anyone know how suitable Interbase is for Internet use?

> Its not designed to be used like that so is very unsuitable imho.
> Performance is slow and insecure.  Have you looked at datasnap (MIDAS)?

> Cheers, James.

Other Threads