Debug informations

Hi,

I'm looking for information about the debug data the compiler adds to the
exe file when using the /V option (standalone debugging), for Turbo
De{*word*81}.

Does anaybody know how this data are structured ? Is there any way to use it
inside the program, for example to locate a variable or a function knowing
its name ?

Thanks for any information.

Denis Fourr

Re:Debug informations

Denis Fourr <Den...@citeweb.net> said
>Hi,

>I'm looking for information about the debug data the compiler adds to the
>exe file when using the /V option (standalone debugging), for Turbo
>De{*word*81}.

>Does anaybody know how this data are structured ? Is there any way to use it
>inside the program, for example to locate a variable or a function knowing
>its name ?

Borland will know ;-)  You could try http://www.wotsit.org/ to see if
they have any data.

Why would you want to do this anyway ? If you can give more information
on why you need this information a better solution, using basic
programming, is very likely to be found for you.
--
Information on Newsgroup posted weekly on Sunday - read before writing!
Contains links to    |  http://homepages.force9.net/pascal/faq/

Re:Debug informations

Hello,

Thank you Pedt. I checked that site and found many usefull informations, but
not exactly about what I was looking for !

There is a description of the TPU files. Maybe I can do something with
that... But it would be nice for me to have the format of the TPP files
generated with Delphi 1. Does anybody have something about that ?

I'm working on a workshop allowing to create graphical pages in addition to
a program. The pages are then displayed according to variables of the system
that are specified in the object parameters (for example a boolean for a
button).

So the software has to retrieve the address of the variable knowing his
name. The problem is the same with procedures. To solve that problem, the
user has to declare the variables twice : one for the compiler, and the
second for the graphical pages with a special call. I want to suppress the
need for that second call, using informations generated by the compiler.

I've already try to use the map file, that contains informations about the
global variables. But I miss some information there : type, size. Do you
have any other idea ?

Sincerely

Denis Fourr

Pedt Scragg a crit dans le message <8o97g4BlsE94E...@pedt.demon.co.uk>...

>Denis Fourr <Den...@citeweb.net> said
>>Hi,

>>I'm looking for information about the debug data the compiler adds to the
>>exe file when using the /V option (standalone debugging), for Turbo
>>De{*word*81}.

>>Does anaybody know how this data are structured ? Is there any way to use
it
>>inside the program, for example to locate a variable or a function knowing
>>its name ?

>Borland will know ;-)  You could try http://www.wotsit.org/ to see if
>they have any data.

>Why would you want to do this anyway ? If you can give more information
>on why you need this information a better solution, using basic
>programming, is very likely to be found for you.
>--
>Information on Newsgroup posted weekly on Sunday - read before writing!
>Contains links to    |  http://homepages.force9.net/pascal/faq/
>helpful information  |  http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/clpb-faq.txt
>and some guidelines  |  ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/doc-net/faqclpb.zip

Re:Debug informations

Im Artikel <8d1cio$8q...@wanadoo.fr>, "Denis Fourr" <Den...@citeweb.net>
schreibt:

>Does anaybody know how this data are structured ?

Descriptions exist for several Borland debug info formats, from TP to Delphi.
Some informations are available from Borland. What "magic" key has the debug
information you are looking for?

DoDi

Re:Debug informations

Denis Fourr wrote:

> I'm looking for information about the debug data the compiler adds to the
> exe file when using the /V option (standalone debugging), for Turbo
> De{*word*81}.

  TDUMP -v ton_exe.exe
gives a comprehensive listing.

> Does anaybody know how this data are structured ?

I remember seeing some descriptions. It was explained under the genuine
name of the format: TDS (Turbo De{*word*81} Symbols).

Perhaps in an old version of TurboPower?

> Is there any way to use it inside the program, for example to locate
> a variable or a function knowing its name ?

Sure it is possible (this is how TD works), but I never did it, sorry.

The basic sketch is to find the .EXE, then skip the old-format (MZ)
image, then skip the NE image if present; if TDS informations are
there they should begin with the signature (something like 'NB').
They begin with a directory (two different formats, IIRC), then
the different sections (types, vars, etc.), then the names.

Hope it helps,

Antoine

Re:Debug informations

Denis Fourr wrote:

> not exactly about what I was looking for !

> There is a description of the TPU files. Maybe I can do something with
> that... But it would be nice for me to have the format of the TPP files
> generated with Delphi 1. Does anybody have something about that ?

From memory, they look like very similar to BP7 .TPP

> I'm working on a workshop allowing to create graphical pages in addition to
> a program. The pages are then displayed according to variables of the system
> that are specified in the object parameters (for example a boolean for a
> button).

> So the software has to retrieve the address of the variable knowing his
> name. The problem is the same with procedures. To solve that problem, the
> user has to declare the variables twice : one for the compiler, and the
> second for the graphical pages with a special call. I want to suppress the
> need for that second call, using informations generated by the compiler.

That does look like _a_lot_ like Delphi's published properties.
May be you should give a look to this stuff (would be easier to
upgrade to 32-bit, too).

Hope it helps,

Antoine

Other Threads