Board index » delphi » Security and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE in Windows NT

Security and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE in Windows NT

Hey all!

Some NT-users who are running my FMBox application say that they can only
use the program when logging on as administrator.  My application stores
it's settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/AARTOR and it seems that
these users are not allowed to read this key..

Is there anything i can do about this?    I'd like to know where i can store
the settings so that they can be accessed even in systems with overambitious
security setup...

Grateful for any answers..
/Aarto

--

- Aarto Reponen -
EMail   :aa...@writeme.com
HTTP   :http://www.algonet.se/~aarto
Voicemail :Aa...@pub1.ipn.vocaltec.com
ICQ UIN   :1158834
- FMBox -
Software to control your Radio Reveal and RadioTrack FM-tuner adapter
http://www.algonet.se/~aarto/software.html

 

Re:Security and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE in Windows NT


Quote
>Some NT-users who are running my FMBox application say that they can only
>use the program when logging on as administrator.  My application stores
>it's settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/AARTOR and it seems that
>these users are not allowed to read this key..

>Is there anything i can do about this?    I'd like to know where i can
store
>the settings so that they can be accessed even in systems with
overambitious
>security setup...

>Grateful for any answers..
>--
>Response.  The Delphi 3.0 TRegistry has a bug. Use of the component on NT

does not work unless you have administrators rights.  If you are interested,
a brief   explanation of the problem, and a patch is availabe at
http://www.borland.com/delphi/del3update.html.  The patch costs $15.00.  I
have read posts to this newgroup, that some users "complained load enough"
that Borland sent them the patch for free.  I don't know whether this will
still work.  I am fairly certain this is your problem.

Encap Support Software

Need IntelliMouse support for your applications:
Http://www.pacificocean.com/encap

Quote
>- Aarto Reponen -
>EMail   :aa...@writeme.com
>HTTP   :http://www.algonet.se/~aarto
>Voicemail :Aa...@pub1.ipn.vocaltec.com
>ICQ UIN   :1158834
>- FMBox -
>Software to control your Radio Reveal and RadioTrack FM-tuner adapter
>http://www.algonet.se/~aarto/software.html

Re:Security and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE in Windows NT


Quote
>>Response.  The Delphi 3.0 TRegistry has a bug. Use of the component on NT
>does not work unless you have administrators rights.  If you are interested,
>a brief   explanation of the problem, and a patch is availabe at
>http://www.borland.com/delphi/del3update.html.  The patch costs $15.00.  I
>have read posts to this newgroup, that some users "complained load enough"
>that Borland sent them the patch for free.  I don't know whether this will
>still work.  I am fairly certain this is your problem.

Don't "complain loud" right away - a nice guy at Borland UK was willing
to send me the D3 update for free because we'd purchased the upgrade
"fairly recently" and should have got the updated version anyway.

"Recently" in our case was last autumn.
--
Jeremy Collins

Re:Security and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE in Windows NT


Encap Support Software wrote..
|>Some NT-users who are running my FMBox application say that they can
only
|>use the program when logging on as administrator.  My application
stores
|>it's settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/AARTOR and it seems
that
|>these users are not allowed to read this key..
|>

You say *some* of your users can't change the registry; does that
imply that some others *can* ?? If an NT-workstation is configured
(possibly through a domain server) such that user xyz can't change the
registry, then user xyz (or any program he might be using) *can't the
registry.That's the (hard) way it works.

|The Delphi 3.0 TRegistry has a bug. Use of the component on NT
|does not work unless you have administrators rights.  If you are
interested,
|a brief   explanation of the problem, and a patch is availabe at
|http://www.borland.com/delphi/del3update.html.  |

[snip]
|Encap Support Software
|
In the TRegistry source code, all access to the registry is done with
KEY_ALL_ACCESS. If the user does not have that access, it won't work.

Regards,
Dirk Claessens
______________________________________________
Home   : <dirk.claess...@village.uunet.be>
Office : <dirk.claessens...@belgium.agfa.com>
Nothing will come of nothing.
Dare mighty things. (William Shakespeare)
______________________________________________

Re:Security and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE in Windows NT


Does the users have read write rights?

If a sysadm creates the files no one else can read them unless sysadm grants
them to the users.

SQL command something like

From Borland help:

The following statement grants SELECT and DELETE privileges to a user. The
WITH

GRANT OPTION gives the user GRANT authority.

GRANT SELECT, DELETE ON COUNTRY TO CHLOE WITH GRANT OPTION;

This statement grants EXECUTE privileges for a procedure to another
procedure, and to a user:

GRANT EXECUTE ON PROCEDURE GET_EMP_PROJ
 TO PROCEDURE ADD_EMP_PROJ, LUIS;

End Birland Help.

Lars Rosenberg
Karlstad Sweden.

Quote
Aarto Reponen wrote in message <886172284.665639@mn8>...
>Hey all!

>Some NT-users who are running my FMBox application say that they can only
>use the program when logging on as administrator.  My application stores
>it's settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/AARTOR and it seems that
>these users are not allowed to read this key..

>Is there anything i can do about this?    I'd like to know where i can
store
>the settings so that they can be accessed even in systems with
overambitious
>security setup...

>Grateful for any answers..
>/Aarto

>--

>- Aarto Reponen -
>EMail   :aa...@writeme.com
>HTTP   :http://www.algonet.se/~aarto
>Voicemail :Aa...@pub1.ipn.vocaltec.com
>ICQ UIN   :1158834
>- FMBox -
>Software to control your Radio Reveal and RadioTrack FM-tuner adapter
>http://www.algonet.se/~aarto/software.html

Other Threads