D2 to D3 experiences and problems

BBukov...@compuserve.com wrote:

> Some observations so far...

> 5)  Here's the real PROBLEM that I can't seem to get around!  If I change
> a form in D3, it adds a new property of font.charset.  The problem is
> that this property is not defined in D2.  D2 compiles the code just fine,
> but gives me an exception at runtime (which I can't seem to get around)
> saying that it can't read the property.  How can I get around this
> problem?  It seems that once I touch a form within D3 I can never go
> back.  Is this true?  Is there anyway to share source between D2 and D3?

> If anyone has any comments or suggestions, they would be greatly
> appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

> Bruce Bukovics
> FBS Software / Equifax
> BBukov...@compuserve.com

>       http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

I am a very new user of D3, but my initial project has the same worries,
except
I am going between D1 at work and D3 at home ! Porting a D1 project to
D3 was
very easy, having no Database stuff in anyway. I loved the Hints, which
are new
to me.

On this project I only had two problems:
1) No WinCrt unit. Since I was creating a beta anyway, for demo, I
simply lost
this requirement. But for debugging, what is the expected or simple way
now in
D3 ?

2)What happened to MaxInt ? No major problem, I was only using it to
assign an
integer out of my usable range, but the compiler hiccuped on it.

Creating a new D3 project and porting that to D1 created far more
problems, and
it is tiny. The project file couldn't be used, so I ended up copying
most of the
code across piece meal. For a real project, no chance. The font.charset
surfaced
for me too. The other thing that surfaced was down to bad practice,
untrapped
overflow. A Word varible * 3600/72. D3 worked this out from the right,
D1 from
the left so I had to change this to 3600.0/72. As I said, bad practise,
but
worth reiterating, perhaps ;-)

R...@Pol.ac.uk

Re:D2 to D3 experiences and problems

>On this project I only had two problems:
>1) No WinCrt unit. Since I was creating a beta anyway, for demo, I
>simply lost
>this requirement. But for debugging, what is the expected or simple way
>now in
>D3 ?

Don't know about D3 specifically but probably the same as D2.  You can
writeln to a real console.  However you need to make a call
AllocConsole (part of windows unit?) first in order to bring up a
dos window and connect it for output.  After that, you can call
writeln, readln just like before.

-Erik Johnson
e...@phidias.colorado.edu
http://phidias.colorado.edu/vgallery.html

Re:D2 to D3 experiences and problems

On Tue, 20 May 1997 16:34:27 GMT, e...@phidias.colorado.edu (Erik

Johnson) wrote:
>>On this project I only had two problems:
>>1) No WinCrt unit. Since I was creating a beta anyway, for demo, I
>>simply lost
>>this requirement. But for debugging, what is the expected or simple way
>>now in
>>D3 ?

>Don't know about D3 specifically but probably the same as D2.  You can
>writeln to a real console.  However you need to make a call
>AllocConsole (part of windows unit?) first in order to bring up a
>dos window and connect it for output.  After that, you can call
>writeln, readln just like before.

It is even easier than that simply do:

{$APPTYPE CONSOLE}

in the project file or check the corresponding
checkbox in the project options. Note that
you can still have all the normal forms
and windows.

--
Hallvard Vassbotn
Falcon R&D, Reuters Norge

hallv...@falcon.no (Hallvard Vassbotn) wrote:
>On Tue, 20 May 1997 16:34:27 GMT, e...@phidias.colorado.edu (Erik
>Johnson) wrote:

>>Don't know about D3 specifically but probably the same as D2.  You can
>>writeln to a real console.  However you need to make a call
>>AllocConsole (part of windows unit?) first in order to bring up a
>>dos window and connect it for output.  After that, you can call
>>writeln, readln just like before.

>It is even easier than that simply do:

>{$APPTYPE CONSOLE}

>in the project file or check the corresponding
>checkbox in the project options. Note that
>you can still have all the normal forms
>and windows.

Oops!  One should use either way, not both; i.e., either "{$APPTYPE
CONSOLE}" or "Project | Options | Linker | Generate Console Application".
BTW, although console output works smoothly, console input should be done
with ReadLn only.  Read does not work properly.

HTH

Evandro Menezes          Sao Paulo, SP                      Brazil
TMTI/ENG/STM0                                        BOSCH Telecom
tel: +55 (11) 541-9555 #166                 fax: +55 (11) 246-0016
evandro.mene...@pcm.bosch.de  www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/7263

Other Threads