THINK PASCAL VS TURBO PASCAL.

Greetings,
               After seeing Think Pascal for the Macintosh, which ressembled
quite closely the syntax used in Turbo Pascal, I wanted to know if the DOS
version of Think Pascal is similar to Turbo Pascal, and if so does it include
a GUI (just like TVision) and a source code converter?

Since borland Pascal is dead, i am considering switching to think pascal if it
is worth it.

Carl Eric Codere aka Black One.
cecod...@andrew.sca.usherb.ca
carl.cod...@evening.magicnet.com
http://www-edu.gel.usherb.ca/codc01
<Electrical Engineering, University of Sherbrooke>

Re:THINK PASCAL VS TURBO PASCAL.

cecod...@andrew.sca.usherb.ca (CARL-ERIC CODERE) wrote:
>Greetings,
>               After seeing Think Pascal for the Macintosh, which ressembled
>quite closely the syntax used in Turbo Pascal, I wanted to know if the DOS
>version of Think Pascal is similar to Turbo Pascal, and if so does it include
>a GUI (just like TVision) and a source code converter?
>Since borland Pascal is dead, i am considering switching to think pascal if it
>is worth it.

1)  I personally think that Borland Pascal is not "dead".  I use it
quite often, along with Borland C++.
2)  I have worked with Think Pascal also, I DON'T LIKE IT.  With OOP
programming, (especially with the Mac), is a complete waste of time.
The source code for a basic generic window on the Mac with Think
Pascal will not even fit on a high density (1.44 MB) disk.
3)  Mac sucks

Note:  THIS IS NOT A FLAME.  These are merely my own oppinions.
(****************************************)
(*Tom Cornett                           *)
(*http://www.leba.net/~tcornett         *)
(*tcorn...@leba.net                     *)
(****************************************)

Tom Cornett (tcorn...@leba.net) wrote:
>cecod...@andrew.sca.usherb.ca (CARL-ERIC CODERE) wrote:
>>Greetings,
>>               After seeing Think Pascal for the Macintosh, which ressembled
>>quite closely the syntax used in Turbo Pascal, I wanted to know if the DOS
>>version of Think Pascal is similar to Turbo Pascal, and if so does it include
>>a GUI (just like TVision) and a source code converter?

There is no DOS version of Think Pascal.

>>Since borland Pascal is dead, i am considering switching to think pascal
>>if it is worth it.
> 1)  I personally think that Borland Pascal is not "dead".  I use it
> quite often, along with Borland C++.
> 2)  I have worked with Think Pascal also, I DON'T LIKE IT.  With OOP
> programming, (especially with the Mac), is a complete waste of time.
> The source code for a basic generic window on the Mac with Think
> Pascal will not even fit on a high density (1.44 MB) disk.

You don't seem to know where you are talking about. Think Pascal implements
standard Object Pascal (instead of the Borland variant). Using the (ROM-based)
Macintosh Toolbox you can write a hello-world windowed program in a few tens
of lines. It compiles to less than 5 K of code. With TCL (a class library),
you need a similar amount of lines, but have much more functionality and a
larger memory footprint.
  The major advantage of Think vs Borland Pascal is the de{*word*81}. In short,
it works.

> 3)  Mac sucks

Dream on.

  Stephan

Stephan Eggermont wrote:
> Think Pascal implements
> standard Object Pascal (instead of the Borland variant).

I didn't know there was such a thing as standard Object Pascal. What
other compilers except for Think Pascal support it? Any for DOS (I can
dream can't I)?

--
                 Fredrik Arnerup

           e-mail: md95-...@nada.kth.se
       url: http://www.nada.kth.se/~md95-far/

Re:THINK PASCAL VS TURBO PASCAL.

>Stephan Eggermont wrote:
>> Think Pascal implements
>> standard Object Pascal (instead of the Borland variant).
>I didn't know there was such a thing as standard Object Pascal. What
>other compilers except for Think Pascal support it? Any for DOS (I can
>dream can't I)?

Sorry, I was misunderstood, I meant to say that the syntax of think pascal and
borland pascal are quite similar in some aspects but different in others...
!!!

There is no such thing as i know of a standard object pascal

Carl Eric Codere aka Black One.
cecod...@andrew.sca.usherb.ca
carl.cod...@evening.magicnet.com
http://www-edu.gel.usherb.ca/codc01
<Electrical Engineering, University of Sherbrooke>

Other Threads