DCOM server & client registration -HELP!-

I'm about as frustrated as I can get so far...

I'm trying to get an example DCOM app up and running...

There are two parts :
   MessageBoardServer.exe
   DelphiClient.exe

I have MessageBoardServer on a remote NT4 server called SQL1. I ran

    MessageBoardServer.exe /RegServer

Then ran the DCOMCNFG.exe program to set up the connection security
stuff.

On the client side I ran the TRegSvr -T MessageBoardServer.TLB to
register the Type Library. That went fine and gave me a GUID.

When I run the client (which takes the server machine as an argument)

  DelphiClient SQL1
       OR
  DelphiClient \\SQL1

I get the error "Server Execution Failed".

I have two books and a bevvy of articles that claim to outline this
process and I have sat and walked through them but still cannot get
this to work!

Does ANYBODY have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I can hit SQL1 from Winders Explorer by typing in (the address bar)
\\SQL1

----------------------
Bill Artemik
Programmer / Analyst
b...@droste1.com

"He who procrastinates

Re:DCOM server & client registration -HELP!-

Well, I feel stupid[er] now... I reregistered the type library and it
ran (after I started the server on the remote server.)

Should the DCOM client app be able to start the server with a call to
CreateRemote(), though? Or do I need to make sure the server starts
automatically with Windows NT?

Bill

On Wed, 05 Sep 2001 16:54:59 GMT, B...@droste1.com (Bill Artemik)
wrote:

>I'm about as frustrated as I can get so far...

>I'm trying to get an example DCOM app up and running...

>There are two parts :
>   MessageBoardServer.exe
>   DelphiClient.exe

>I have MessageBoardServer on a remote NT4 server called SQL1. I ran

>    MessageBoardServer.exe /RegServer

>Then ran the DCOMCNFG.exe program to set up the connection security
>stuff.

>On the client side I ran the TRegSvr -T MessageBoardServer.TLB to
>register the Type Library. That went fine and gave me a GUID.

>When I run the client (which takes the server machine as an argument)

>  DelphiClient SQL1
>       OR
>  DelphiClient \\SQL1

>I get the error "Server Execution Failed".

>I have two books and a bevvy of articles that claim to outline this
>process and I have sat and walked through them but still cannot get
>this to work!

>Does ANYBODY have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

>I can hit SQL1 from Winders Explorer by typing in (the address bar)
>\\SQL1

>----------------------
>Bill Artemik
>Programmer / Analyst