Board index » delphi » I don't like the BDE but the BDE likes me

I don't like the BDE but the BDE likes me

Hi,

I am looking for a BDE replacement, I need some nice and *free database.
Just a small project for my personal use - a multilanguage dictionary with
initial size of about 20 MB. A relational DB, but no need for transactions
and stored procedures.

I prefer the MDB format, if there would be something that can read/write do
MDBs without BDE and MS JET, that would be just fine. Now I am about to try
the components from www.opus.ch, but I still need MS JET to access MDBs.

I was thinking about MySQL but I guess that is just something too big for a
local database.

I also visited www.advantagedatabase.com, but when I saw that I would need
to enter my personal info, I just ran away. I get fed up when somebody wants
to know my personal details.

Can anyone help?

Ivan

 

Re:I don't like the BDE but the BDE likes me


Interbase (Firebird) and ADO?

Quote
Ivan wrote:
> Hi,

> I am looking for a BDE replacement, I need some nice and *free database.
> Just a small project for my personal use - a multilanguage dictionary with
> initial size of about 20 MB. A relational DB, but no need for transactions
> and stored procedures.

> I prefer the MDB format, if there would be something that can read/write do
> MDBs without BDE and MS JET, that would be just fine. Now I am about to try
> the components from www.opus.ch, but I still need MS JET to access MDBs.

> I was thinking about MySQL but I guess that is just something too big for a
> local database.

> I also visited www.advantagedatabase.com, but when I saw that I would need
> to enter my personal info, I just ran away. I get fed up when somebody wants
> to know my personal details.

> Can anyone help?

> Ivan

--
Guillermo Casta?o Acevedo
Gerente de Sistemas - Grupo Millennium Ltda
Guiller...@GrupoMillennium.com
www.GrupoMillennium.com

Re:I don't like the BDE but the BDE likes me


Why incur the overhead of ADO? Why not use InterBase Express?

--
Bill
(TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)

Re:I don't like the BDE but the BDE likes me


Yep, you're right

Quote
"Bill Todd (TeamB)" wrote:
> Why incur the overhead of ADO? Why not use InterBase Express?

> --
> Bill
> (TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)

--
Guillermo Casta?o Acevedo
Gerente de Sistemas - Grupo Millennium Ltda
Guiller...@GrupoMillennium.com
www.GrupoMillennium.com

Re:I don't like the BDE but the BDE likes me


Unless you have a deep need for privacy go back to Advantage.  The local
server comes with the free components and there is a data migration
facility.  You don't need the activation codes for local server and the
components SEEM to work well. It seems the best BDE replacement I've
tried but limits you to Clipper, Foxpro and a proprietart table format.

Andrew

Re:I don't like the BDE but the BDE likes me


To be honest, I was thinking about IB too. I guess it would be a bit impractical to install IB just because of a simple dictionary program. I guess IB is somewhat bigger that BDE, am I right?

Another important thing is that the database should run on my old and slow notebook (P133, 32MB, no, dont laugh, please).

I guess I'm going back to advantagedatabase... btw, does it support MDBs?

Thank you.

Ivan

"Bill Todd \(TeamB\)" <bill.nos...@dbginc.com> wrote:

Quote
>Why incur the overhead of ADO? Why not use InterBase Express?

>--
>Bill
>(TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)

Re:I don't like the BDE but the BDE likes me


InterBase is about 1/3 the size of the BDE.

--
Bill
(TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)

Re:I don't like the BDE but the BDE likes me


Quote
> ... A relational DB, but no need for transactions
> and stored procedures...

"Sybase SQL Anywhere" has a runtime edition which
is basically "free". You must only pay a small amount (of
USD 99 I believe) to get the package/product and then
you can re-distribute the runtime-files, along with your app.,
to anyone free of charge (IOW no royalty).
(check out this product via www.sybase.com).

You may also consider our BDE replacement "NativeDB" that
fully supports this database, and if you download our shareware-
version you will get more information about this DB together with
some Delphi examples that show how to connect to it.
(The registered version of NativeDB is not free though)

Best regards
Harald Fjerdingstad
Development Team - NativeDB
http://www.nativedb.com
mailto:supp...@nativedb.com

Re:I don't like the BDE but the BDE likes me


Put up with the personal info request, Advantage is an extremely good
product, the local database server version is free with free TDataSet
components and it's really easy to deploy.  Make sure you are careful with
your database design (field types, lengths) as it does not use dynamically
variable field lengths like the MDB format does.  Good luck
Quote
"Ivan" <izerno...@ottawa.com> wrote in message news:3bb8812d$1_2@dnews...

> To be honest, I was thinking about IB too. I guess it would be a bit

impractical to install IB just because of a simple dictionary program. I
guess IB is somewhat bigger that BDE, am I right?
Quote

> Another important thing is that the database should run on my old and slow

notebook (P133, 32MB, no, dont laugh, please).
Quote

> I guess I'm going back to advantagedatabase... btw, does it support MDBs?

> Thank you.

> Ivan

> "Bill Todd \(TeamB\)" <bill.nos...@dbginc.com> wrote:
> >Why incur the overhead of ADO? Why not use InterBase Express?

> >--
> >Bill
> >(TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)

Other Threads