Database backup with active applications running...

I have several applications at work running over a network.
Several users never shut their apps.

I've usually backed up with pkzip but can't because the files are in
use.
I wrote something to disconnect from the tables if inactive for a while,

but it seems like a kludge.  What's the best way to backup tables
when the apps are running?

Thanks
Jim Walsh

Re:Database backup with active applications running...

If you had mentioned even with one word, what is your database and
the used database engine, I maybe could have answered straight away.

To save some time, I'll make a wild quess: You are using BDE and
Paradox database.
And then the anser is: There is no reliable way to back-up BDE/Paradox
database when it is active and running.

Switch to some SQL database, and your chances will get much better
for an uninterrupted 24 h/day operating.

Markku Nevalainen

Jim Walsh & Colette Flanagan wrote:

> I have several applications at work running over a network.
> Several users never shut their apps.

> I've usually backed up with pkzip but can't because the files are in
> use.
> I wrote something to disconnect from the tables if inactive for a while,

> but it seems like a kludge.  What's the best way to backup tables
> when the apps are running?

> Thanks
> Jim Walsh

.