HELP -- Can't start D4, problem with DELPHI32.DCT (I think)

Big, big problem.

I've been using Delphi 4.03 for months.  Today, when I tried to start
Delphi I got the error "Bitmap image is not valid".

Last night, I created some component templates.  The last one appeared
in the template page of the component palette, but oddly, it had no
bitmap showing.  This is the first time I have tried to start Delphi
since then.  Also, I saw an unanswered post from someone else who got
the same error immediately after creating a template component with no
image.

I think the problem is in the DELPHI32.DCT file, since that is the
only one in the BIN directory with yesterday's date.

I saw some messages here about the image list problem with the
component palette on certain video drivers.  It's possible that last
night I exceeded some limit, I don't know.  But none of the fixes in
that message helped.  Tellingly, I cannot run Delphi at all in Safe
Mode (no message, just hangs).

Can anybody help me?  It will probably cost me an entire day to
reinstall Delphi, patch it, and find and reload all the components
I've added.  Does anyone know how to edit the DCT file without Delphi
to get rid of the bad bitmap?  Does anyone know how to edit DCT file
WITH Delphi, and would be willing to try hacking it for me?

HEEELP.  Thanks.

Lawrence Lustig
llus...@pipeline.com

Re:HELP -- Can't start D4, problem with DELPHI32.DCT (I think)

On Tue, 25 May 1999 03:18:09 GMT, llus...@pipeline.com (Lawrence

Lustig) wrote:
>I've been using Delphi 4.03 for months.  Today, when I tried to start
>Delphi I got the error "Bitmap image is not valid".
>. . .
>I think the problem is in the DELPHI32.DCT file, since that is the
>only one in the BIN directory with yesterday's date.

I figured out how to fix this.  I deleted the delphi32.dct file,
restarted my machine, and was able to run Delphi (with no templates,
but that's no problem).

Previously I had tried removing the file but was not able to run
Delphi.  I think the difference was in restarting the machine beforing
trying to run Delphi again.

Lawrence Lustig
llus...@pipeline.com

Other Threads