No Sharing Violation -- why not?

In <4fvvn9$...@abel.cc.sunysb.edu>, David Eisenberg <d...@delbruck.pharm.sunysb.edu> writes:

>Have you ever opened two dBASE DOS windows and tried to open
>the same database, or run the same program twice which access
>the same files, and receive "Sharing Violation?"  This error
>occurs even if the application is network compatible.
>Why doesn't this error occur in Delhpi?  I can open the same
>application twice, on the same machine, and it works!  Don't
>get me wrong -- I'm not complaining... :-)  Am I missing
>something here?  I initially thought it was due to Windows NT,
>but I tried it on WFW3.11 and it still works!
>Why is that?  I guess I can now have many applications running
>as icons, each looking at the same databases, performing
>different things!  Hurray!  Is this right??

>-Dave
>--
>-=[ dave @ delbruck.pharm.sunysb.edu ]=-

Run the 'share' program to avoid that. When you load Delphi it is part of the
install program to actually warn you to do so or suffer the consequences.

Good luck,

Burt

Re:No Sharing Violation -- why not?

On 15 Feb 1996 21:21:04 -0700, b...@primenet.com wrote:

>In <4fvvn9$...@abel.cc.sunysb.edu>, David Eisenberg <d...@delbruck.pharm.sunysb.edu> writes:
>>Have you ever opened two dBASE DOS windows and tried to open
>>the same database, or run the same program twice which access
>>the same files, and receive "Sharing Violation?"  This error
>>occurs even if the application is network compatible.
>>Why doesn't this error occur in Delhpi?  I can open the same
>>application twice, on the same machine, and it works!  Don't
>>get me wrong -- I'm not complaining... :-)  Am I missing
>>something here?  I initially thought it was due to Windows NT,
>>but I tried it on WFW3.11 and it still works!
>>Why is that?  I guess I can now have many applications running
>>as icons, each looking at the same databases, performing
>>different things!  Hurray!  Is this right??

>>-Dave
>>--
>>-=[ dave @ delbruck.pharm.sunysb.edu ]=-

>Run the 'share' program to avoid that. When you load Delphi it is part of the
>install program to actually warn you to do so or suffer the consequences.

>Good luck,

>Burt

If share is loaded Dbase should act the same way.  It is normal under
Delphi/Pdox to be able to have two or more users on the same table
even in the same record at the same time.  If any user enters edit
mode on a field and hits a key then any other user attempting to enter
edit mode on that field will not be able to type till the first users
changes are committed.
Jack

Other Threads