Table block

Hi,
I not even know how to start explaining my problem. Basically when two
computers are in the same option which displays/modifies a particular table,
the station attempting to post a entry will be locked until the station
which is displaying a list from the same table (not necessarily the same
record) closes the list.... The problem is totally consistent and I have no
clue how to resolve it.

(D5 and 7 / MS-SQL7 and MS-SQL2000 / BDE)

Any ideas ?

Thanks
C.Fleury

Re:Table block

Sounds like a locking problem.  Are you using optomistic or pessemistic
locking?

Eric

Re:Table block

Hi Eric,
I'm using the BDE and TQuery which doesn't offer those properties (I think
!). I made sure to delete and re-create all data sets and data sources
involved in the process to make sure all Borland defaults are kept in place,
but the same behavior persists.
Thanks
C.Fleury

"Eric Hill" <e...@ijack.net> wrote in message

> Sounds like a locking problem.  Are you using optomistic or pessemistic
> locking?

> Eric

Re:Table block

How is the data modified?  RequestLive? CachedUpdates?  Are you explicitly
starting/committing transactions in Delphi code (Database1.Commit on a
button click)?

krf

"C.Fleury" <Fle...@CompuTimes.net> wrote in message

> Hi Eric,
> I'm using the BDE and TQuery which doesn't offer those properties (I think
> !). I made sure to delete and re-create all data sets and data sources
> involved in the process to make sure all Borland defaults are kept in
place,
> but the same behavior persists.
> Thanks
> C.Fleury

> "Eric Hill" <e...@ijack.net> wrote in message
> > Sounds like a locking problem.  Are you using optomistic or pessemistic
> > locking?

> > Eric

Re:Table block

Kevin,
There are two forms, form1 has a TBrowse w/ a TQuery (RequestLive=False) and
form2 when activated uses another TQuery (RequestLive=True) which selects
the one highlighted record in then form1's Browse and edits it.
 When I post the edit in form2 it will sit there waiting until the remote
station which is idle in form1 closes it either by activating form2 or going
back to a menu. This is equivalent in complexity to the HELLO WORLD of
Delphi programming and I can't get it to behave properly !!!

Thanks

C.Fleury

"Kevin Frevert" <ke...@workdrinkingcoffee.com> wrote in message

> How is the data modified?  RequestLive? CachedUpdates?  Are you explicitly
> starting/committing transactions in Delphi code (Database1.Commit on a
> button click)?

> krf

> "C.Fleury" <Fle...@CompuTimes.net> wrote in message
> > Hi Eric,
> > I'm using the BDE and TQuery which doesn't offer those properties (I
think
> > !). I made sure to delete and re-create all data sets and data sources
> > involved in the process to make sure all Borland defaults are kept in
> place,
> > but the same behavior persists.
> > Thanks
> > C.Fleury

> > "Eric Hill" <e...@ijack.net> wrote in message
> > > Sounds like a locking problem.  Are you using optomistic or
pessemistic
> > > locking?

> > > Eric

Re:Table block

C.Fleury,

Welcome to client/server development.  The server is only doing what you ask
and the tricky part is making sure you ask the right questions, in the right
way.  There is a lot of detail you keep leaving out (number of records
involved, what server resources are locked, SQL used, etc), so here are a
few articles worth reading...

http://bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,28160,00.html

Good luck,
krf
http://www.midwayusa.com
- 100% Delphi Webbroker CGI/ISAPI and ADO against MSSQL 2K

> Kevin,
> There are two forms, form1 has a TBrowse w/ a TQuery (RequestLive=False)
and
> form2 when activated uses another TQuery (RequestLive=True) which selects
> the one highlighted record in then form1's Browse and edits it.
>  When I post the edit in form2 it will sit there waiting until the remote
> station which is idle in form1 closes it either by activating form2 or
going
> back to a menu. This is equivalent in complexity to the HELLO WORLD of
> Delphi programming and I can't get it to behave properly !!!

> Thanks

> C.Fleury

Other Threads