Delphi 4 does not like Oracle 7.3 ???

Hello,

I need to read an Oracle 7.3 table and I'd like to do this with Delphi
4.

The problem:
The table contains a field ABC which is defined as varchar2 of length
512.

Delphi sees this field ABC as a memo field. When I read a record with
Delphi, I always get only the last 43 out of the 512 chars of ABC.

All I want to do is reading the full content of the field ABC.
How can I do this?

BTW, When I view the table with "Oracle ODBC Test", I can see the full
content of the field.

--
Greetings
Frank Heyne

To reply to me personally, remove the x from the email address!

Re:Delphi 4 does not like Oracle 7.3 ???

I don't know how you're accessing Oracle, but there is no problem
reading long VARCHAR2 columns from Oracle 7.3.4.  Any column of length >
255 shows up as a memo, but it can be read without difficulty.  There
must be something else going on.

John

John Pierce wrote:

> I don't know how you're accessing Oracle, but there is no problem
> reading long VARCHAR2 columns from Oracle 7.3.4.  Any column of length > 255 shows up as a memo, but it can be read without difficulty.  There
> must be something else going on.

I really would like to learn *what* is going on here!

I was accessing the Oracle table with a TTable component, which does not
work, as I wrote earlier.
Now I changed my code and use a TQuery component, which at least allows
me to read the field as a memo. Stupid, why does the BDE change a text
field into a memo field?

--
Greetings
Frank Heyne

To reply to me personally, remove the x from the email address!

Re:Delphi 4 does not like Oracle 7.3 ???

Have you upsized the size of the field ABC at any time? (if this is the
case you need to sometimes update your field editor properties)

Other Threads