Non-blob column? I dont have blobs at all !

Why do i always get te error 'Non-blob column in table required to perform
operation'
when i use D4 and SQL 6.5 ?

Re:Non-blob column? I dont have blobs at all !

In article <85nf5t$9a...@bornews.borland.com>, Willem Luijk
<WLu...@Luijk.nl> writes

>Why do i always get te error 'Non-blob column in table required to perform
>operation'
>when i use D4 and SQL 6.5 ?

From Borland Community website...

Home  >  Delphi   >   Article

Add or View comments on this article
Question and Answer Database

FAQ4274B.txt - Non-Blob column in table required to perform operation

Category :Database (MSSQL)
Platform :32 Bit
Product :BC++5.x, C++Builder1.0, C++Builder3.x, C++Builder4.x,
Delphi2.x, Delphi3.x, Delphi4.x, Delphi 5.x

Question:
How come I'm getting the error
"Non Blob column in table required to perform operation" when posting to
my MSSQL database?

Answer:
There are two conditions where this error occurs:

You have an identity field and a field that is NOT NULL (required) and
you post a record.
With BDE versions prior 5.10, all you can do is ignore the error and
continue. The problem is resolved simply by getting BDE 5.10.

You have an identity field which is the primary key and a key field, you
have a text field, and you post a record.
With BDE versions prior 5.10, all you can do is ignore the error and
continue. If you have BDE 5.10 and Delphi, you can turn on the
AutoRefresh property of your DataSet to resolve the problem.

If you have BDE 5.10 and development system other than Delphi 5, you can
call DbiSetProp and set curAUTOREFETCH (which is equal to 0x00050017) to
true.

C++ Builder Example:
#include "bde.hpp"
#define curAUTOREFETCH 0x00050017;
Table1->Open();
DbiSetProp(Table1->Handle, curAUTOREFETCH, TRUE);

Delphi version other than 5 example:
uses bde;
const
   curAUTOREFETCH = $00050017;
Table1.Open;
DbiSetProp(hDbiObj(Table1.Handle), curAUTOREFETCH, Longint(TRUE))

11/16/99

Article ID: 19274   Publish Date: November 16, 1999  Last Modified:
November 16, 1999

(PS, I think it is fixed in D5, but don't quote me on that!)

--
Pete Clark

Replies to pete at elmsoft demon co uk

Re:Non-blob column? I dont have blobs at all !

This is nothing to do with Blobs.
I can't remember what the problem is, but I've suffered before.
Possibly missing the @ off of a SP param.

Hope this saves you from investigating Blobs too much!

What data components are you using?

Willem Luijk wrote in message <85nf5t$9a...@bornews.borland.com>...
>Why do i always get te error 'Non-blob column in table required to perform
>operation'
>when i use D4 and SQL 6.5 ?

Re:Non-blob column? I dont have blobs at all !

I also suffer from this error, when using autoincrement field and other
fields with default value.
And I found to avoid this error:
1. Take off the autoincrement field maintained by myself.
2. Or move the fileds default value from SQL table to OnNewRecord event in
TDataSet.
These the unorthodox ways we tried out.
If you find the formal way to resolve this problem, please tell me.

Martin Moore <m.mo...@tpg.co.uk> wrote in message

> This is nothing to do with Blobs.
> I can't remember what the problem is, but I've suffered before.
> Possibly missing the @ off of a SP param.

> Hope this saves you from investigating Blobs too much!

> What data components are you using?

> Willem Luijk wrote in message <85nf5t$9a...@bornews.borland.com>...
> >Why do i always get te error 'Non-blob column in table required to
perform
> >operation'
> >when i use D4 and SQL 6.5 ?

Re:Non-blob column? I dont have blobs at all !

Update BDE with the version 5.10

Other Threads