VERY URGENT:bde not returning message(problem found), MSSQL 6.5

Seems to me that access method (com) doesn't have the capability to return
descriptive error messages. There is nothing to do with BDE since you are
bypassing.

Re:VERY URGENT:bde not returning message(problem found), MSSQL 6.5

I think you need to explain your problem more fully, or post some more
code before anyone can help.

Where is the "General SQL error" coming from?  Are you trying to
insert the invalid data via the BDE and Delphi dataset components
(TTable/TQuery) or via a command throught the SqlServer object you're
creating?

If you're using the BDE are you using Sql-Links to connect to the
server or ODBC?

Cheers, Martyn

Re:VERY URGENT:bde not returning message(problem found), MSSQL 6.5

Thank
I was able to find out the bug.
I am using a tables(bde) component and also the sql Server 6.5 OLE.
Now If I  open the table first..
database1.connected := true;{database connects now}
table1.open;
and then create the SqlServer Object ...

msrv = CoSqlServer.Create;

Now if I Enter a wrong data(say duplicate data when primary key constraint
exist) in the TABLE (delibrately) It will show me
"General Sql Error ",
in the place of something like
"Key violation
violation of primary key constraint......."

if the above step is done in following manner :
I create SqlServer Object
msrv = CoSqlServer.Create;
Now I connect the database and table
database1.connected := true; {database connects now}
table1.open;
Entering Wrong data in table returns complete error message and not just
"General Sql Error".
Its silly but real troublesome.
thank for replying

Sergio Samayoa wrote in message <7rjb4l$5l...@forums.borland.com>...
>Seems to me that access method (com) doesn't have the capability to return
>descriptive error messages. There is nothing to do with BDE since you are
>bypassing.

Re:VERY URGENT:bde not returning message(problem found), MSSQL 6.5

Yes I am using bde with Sql Link using Standard MSSQL driver.
The General Sql Error is coming from BDE. BDE is not returning error
messages.
Now the description:
I am using a tables(bde) component and also the sql Server 6.5 OLE.
Now If I  open the table first..
database1.connected := true;{database connects now}
table1.open;
and then create the SqlServer Object later ...

Martyn Ayers <100031.2...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

<37dd4345.3619280...@forums.borland.com>...
>I think you need to explain your problem more fully, or post some more
>code before anyone can help.

>Where is the "General SQL error" coming from?  Are you trying to
>insert the invalid data via the BDE and Delphi dataset components
>(TTable/TQuery) or via a command throught the SqlServer object you're
>creating?

>If you're using the BDE are you using Sql-Links to connect to the
>server or ODBC?

>Cheers, Martyn

Other Threads