Board index » delphi » pdox: wierd problems... readonly.. locking... sql

pdox: wierd problems... readonly.. locking... sql

hi,

I've banged my head on the wall for this all day and no one seems to have
any idea what to do next:

I have a paradox table on a remote drive that is read only.  I copy it
locally and attempt to do a query on it.  (very trivial query which runs
fine on the dbd).

when I copy the files the readonly attribute is not set.  So, that isn't it.
:(  I wish....

What I don't currently understand is why the error is reporting that:

"Cannot access directory.
Permission denied.
file: remotedrive:\data\pdoxusrs.lck
File or directory does not exist.'. Process stopped.... etc....
"

but I have copied the file to the local machine and are setting a query to
active IN THE NEW LOCATION... ?  I'm no longer trying to work with it in the
remotedrive and I've verified the the databasename property points to the
location on the local machine (with write permissions...)... I have put a
showmessage() prior to setting active := true and one after.  It never gets
to the one after!  Instead it generates the above error.  That really has me
stumped... wtf is the bde doing here?  Why would it be referencing ANYTHING
in the old location?  The files do copy (I've verified that) and I can
access them fine using the dbdesktop.

I can't think of any other info regarding this problem to add here, or
testing to do in any attempt to resolve things.  If anyone has any more
suggestions I'm all ears(/eyes).. :)

Thanks,

Max

--
Max

         ///
        / ^ \         Empower IT
       ( o-o )        Sr. Software Engineer
---oOOO--(_)--OOOo------------------------------------------

    .oooO          "With enough cache, you can do anything"
    (   )   Oooo.
-----\ (----(   ) ------------------------------------------
      \_)    ) /
            (_/

A train stops at a train station;
a bus stops at a bus station;
on my desk I have a workstation... You figure it out! ;P

    Allen A. Maxwell
    Sr. Software Engineer

    (801) 486-7208 or 4948   (Home & Work)
    649 Hollywood Ave.
    Salt Lake City, Utah 84105

    http://www.xmission.com/~aamax
    aa...@xmission.com
 or
    m...@empowerdata.com

 

Re:pdox: wierd problems... readonly.. locking... sql


Hi all,

thanks for all the advice etc. for resolving my problem(s) with the bde
etc..

The resolution is pretty crazy so I thought I'd fill you all in.

At the beginning of my routine I do some work with copying files.  Part of
that involves using the selectdirectory() call.  then I go on my merry way.
I copy the tables I want to work with locally and then attempt to open a sql
on them.  That is when I get the read only error I posted about earlier.

Well,
because of some of the testing I had this notion that maybe the bde was
attempting to write to the current directory which had been changed to the
remote machines dir, and that it had trouble due to that.  I added a chdir()
to the code prior to opening the sql (Thanks Wiz for the help :)  )  and
voila'!  it worked flawlessly!

so much for getting any real work done today, but a problem is resolved.  On
to the next batch!  :)

thanks again for the help.  WHAT A PAIN THIS ONE WAS!!!!   :)  glad it's
over.

Allen A. Maxwell <aa...@xmission.com> wrote in message
news:877jv1$b61$1@news.xmission.com...

Quote
> hi,

> I've banged my head on the wall for this all day and no one seems to have
> any idea what to do next:

> I have a paradox table on a remote drive that is read only.  I copy it
> locally and attempt to do a query on it.  (very trivial query which runs
> fine on the dbd).

> when I copy the files the readonly attribute is not set.  So, that isn't
it.
> :(  I wish....

> What I don't currently understand is why the error is reporting that:

> "Cannot access directory.
> Permission denied.
> file: remotedrive:\data\pdoxusrs.lck
> File or directory does not exist.'. Process stopped.... etc....
> "

> but I have copied the file to the local machine and are setting a query to
> active IN THE NEW LOCATION... ?  I'm no longer trying to work with it in
the
> remotedrive and I've verified the the databasename property points to the
> location on the local machine (with write permissions...)... I have put a
> showmessage() prior to setting active := true and one after.  It never
gets
> to the one after!  Instead it generates the above error.  That really has
me
> stumped... wtf is the bde doing here?  Why would it be referencing
ANYTHING
> in the old location?  The files do copy (I've verified that) and I can
> access them fine using the dbdesktop.

> I can't think of any other info regarding this problem to add here, or
> testing to do in any attempt to resolve things.  If anyone has any more
> suggestions I'm all ears(/eyes).. :)

> Thanks,

> Max

> --
> Max

>          ///
>         / ^ \         Empower IT
>        ( o-o )        Sr. Software Engineer
> ---oOOO--(_)--OOOo------------------------------------------

>     .oooO          "With enough cache, you can do anything"
>     (   )   Oooo.
> -----\ (----(   ) ------------------------------------------
>       \_)    ) /
>             (_/

> A train stops at a train station;
> a bus stops at a bus station;
> on my desk I have a workstation... You figure it out! ;P

>     Allen A. Maxwell
>     Sr. Software Engineer

>     (801) 486-7208 or 4948   (Home & Work)
>     649 Hollywood Ave.
>     Salt Lake City, Utah 84105

>     http://www.xmission.com/~aamax
>     aa...@xmission.com
>  or
>     m...@empowerdata.com

Other Threads