DBase Expression Indexes and Memos

According to TI2838 I should be able to use a DBase expression index of
the form 'MLINE(Notes,1)':

>Ordering by the first line of a memo field

>For a memo field named Notes:

>  MLINE(Notes, 1)

However doing an AddIndex('Notes','MLINE(NOTES, 1)',[ixexpression]) on
my DBase table returns an Invalid Index Descriptor exception. I can't
create such an index in Database Desktop, nor in DBase for Windows.

Is this an error in the Technical information, and is there any way to
index a DBase table on Memo data?

Mark

Mark Williams                   M...@polyhdrn.demon.co.uk
Polyhedron Software Ltd.
Programs for Programmers - QA, Compilers, Graphics
************ Visit our Web site on http://www.polyhedron.co.uk/ ************

Re:DBase Expression Indexes and Memos

Mark Williams (m...@polyhdrn.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: According to TI2838 I should be able to use a DBase expression index of
: the form 'MLINE(Notes,1)':

: >Ordering by the first line of a memo field
: >
: >------------------------------------------
:
: >For a memo field named Notes:
: >
: >  MLINE(Notes, 1)

: However doing an AddIndex('Notes','MLINE(NOTES, 1)',[ixexpression]) on
: my DBase table returns an Invalid Index Descriptor exception. I can't
: create such an index in Database Desktop, nor in DBase for Windows.

: Is this an error in the Technical information, and is there any way to
: index a DBase table on Memo data?

I have never heard of anyone being able to index a dbf on the contents of
a memo field, either in Dbase or FoxPro.  It has never occurred to me to try.

Allen

Other Threads