Random Access Violation Errors

I have written an MDI Delphi 4.0 program in Win 98.  When running the
program (not from the delphi debugging environment) I get access
violations.  The executable is a "release"--meaning the optimizations
are all on, there is no debug data in the exe.  I am using standard
Delphi components.  TListView, the internet stuff, etc...

The occurrance of these violations is not consist and the same steps
that created an access violation may not create another one.

Has anyone experienced this?  Or have some ideas for solutions?

Thanks
Matt

Re:Random Access Violation Errors

Matt (microObjects inc.) heeft geschreven in bericht
<367bb91b.41027...@news.mindspring.com>...
|I have written an MDI Delphi 4.0 program in Win 98.  When running the
|program (not from the delphi debugging environment) I get access
|violations.  The executable is a "release"--meaning the optimizations
|are all on, there is no debug data in the exe.  I am using standard
|Delphi components.  TListView, the internet stuff, etc...
|
|The occurrance of these violations is not consist and the same steps
|that created an access violation may not create another one.

[snip]

I guess you were just lucky when you tested from within the IDE.
You have a bug in your code. Check for:
- Objects/pointers that are accessed before being created/initialised.
- Objects/pointers  that are accessed after being destroyed/released.
- TListView requires close attention when adding/inserting/deleting nodes
and
  childnodes.
- The "Internet stuff" mostly works with 3d party OLE/ActiveX components.
  (aka  "How do you want to call them today" - stuff ;O)  )

Regards,
Dirk Claessens
dirk.claess...@village.ZZuunet.be
dirk.claessens...@belgium.ZZagfa.com
Mailheader was forged  to fight spam !
Use the above and remove ZZ

Re:Random Access Violation Errors

I have seen the problem with Delphi 3, Oracle 7, and WinNT.  I had to change
an Oracle registry entry to let the program run in both the Delphi IDE and
standalone.  If you aren't using Oracle or a 3rd-party IDE-only components,
then I haven't seen what you mentioned.

Good Luck

Other Threads