Master Detail with IB 4,2

when closing a form that has queries or tables related to another dataset
in a master detail relationship I cannot seem to guarantee that the detail
table is closed before the master automatically, If the master is closed
then the child / detail query fetches every row in the table / query before
the form closes (this can take ages)..

Do we have to do all the query.close type work manually or is this a
problem

if anyone wants to try this make sure that you have 2-300,000 rows in the
dertail table.

even in design mode, vlosing or chamnging the master detail relationship is
really slow

Re:Master Detail with IB 4,2

If you are using Delphi 3.01 then try putting  4096 in the drivers
field of your native InterBase driver in the BDE admin program.

This will force the BDE to a transaction isolation level of read
committed with soft commits;

Robert Schieck (TeamB)
http://www.mers.com
http://www.mers.com:8090 InterBase Search Engine

Re:Master Detail with IB 4,2

Robert, thanks for your help with this but i seem to be missing the point,
if you have a table with say 1,000,000 rows of which 10,000 match the
current query. You want to allow rollback of changes made in a grid so you
must explicitly start a transaction and commit it,

on COMMIT
A TQUERY forces a fetch of all rows even with the driver flags set to 4096
a TTABLE works ok but must return  all rows (are filters the answer ?).
I have always been told to use TQUERY instead of TTABLE now i am
questioning this.

What then finally is the best way of allowing changes to a subset of server
records .

Robert Schieck TeamB <rschi...@mers.com> wrote in article
<VA.00000153.18e65...@RWIN95.mers.com>...

Other Threads