Using Delphi 2 with delphi 6

Hello all,
                Since purchasing delphi 6 personal, i have scratched my head
over how to get the features that i had with delphi 2 standard, namely The
Borland Database Engine.I have come up with an idea to get the best out of
all my programming languages , if it is feasable, hence this posting.I had
acquired quite a lot of components for my delphi 2 standard, and would like
to use their features.

Here is the question :-
would it be possible for a database program with delphi 2 to pass it's
information to a delphi 6 personal program, purely for display.
If so it may also be possible to pass visual basic , Java etc program
information to your basic delphi 6 personal.even though extra programs would
be required, you would get the best of the features from all the programs.I
just want to supplement the features in my delphi 6 pesonal with the
features in my delphi 2 standard.
I don't have enough knowledge at this moment in time, but hope that you may
be able to give me the benefit of your experience.

Regards Mike Geraghty.

Re:Using Delphi 2 with delphi 6

"orion45" <orio...@ic24.net> wrote in message news:...
> Hello all,
>                 Since purchasing delphi 6 personal, i have scratched my
head
> over how to get the features that i had with delphi 2 standard, namely The
> Borland Database Engine.I have come up with an idea to get the best out of
> all my programming languages , if it is feasable, hence this posting.I had
> acquired quite a lot of components for my delphi 2 standard, and would
like
> to use their features.

> Here is the question :-
> would it be possible for a database program with delphi 2 to pass it's
> information to a delphi 6 personal program, purely for display.
> If so it may also be possible to pass visual basic , Java etc program
> information to your basic delphi 6 personal.even though extra programs
would
> be required, you would get the best of the features from all the
programs.I
> just want to supplement the features in my delphi 6 pesonal with the
> features in my delphi 2 standard.
> I don't have enough knowledge at this moment in time, but hope that you
may
> be able to give me the benefit of your experience.

> Regards Mike Geraghty.

Re:Using Delphi 2 with delphi 6

I think that what you are saying is that you want to use Delphi2 for
database work and Delphi6 for the visual elements.

You could do this by putting the Delphi2 stuff in DLLs - or even
making COM objects (OCXes) with Delphi2 (I can't remember whether D2
had an AX factory)

Delphi's DLLs can be used with most languages - in the case of VB one
*must* use the StdCall convention.

Personally I would be very wary of having two versions of Delphi on
the same machine, also I would be inclined to get the D6 Professional
- having the source of the VCL is invaluable.

"J French" <je...@iss.u-net.com> skrev i melding

> Personally I would be very wary of having two versions of Delphi on
> the same machine, also I would be inclined to get the D6 Professional
> - having the source of the VCL is invaluable.

That's absolutely no problem, as long as you stay away from ActiveX
controls. Can't have more versions of the same AX control installed
simultaneously. Otherwise, no problem whatsoever.

--
Bj?rge S?ther
bjorge@hahaha_itte.no

Re:Using Delphi 2 with delphi 6

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:18:11 GMT, "Bj?rge S?ther"

<bjorge@hahaha_itte.no> wrote:
>"J French" <je...@iss.u-net.com> skrev i melding
>> Personally I would be very wary of having two versions of Delphi on
>> the same machine, also I would be inclined to get the D6 Professional
>> - having the source of the VCL is invaluable.

>That's absolutely no problem, as long as you stay away from ActiveX
>controls. Can't have more versions of the same AX control installed
>simultaneously. Otherwise, no problem whatsoever.

Personally I would stay away from ActiveX controls regardless !

> Personally I would stay away from ActiveX controls regardless !

Mee, too ! I have only *read* about these potential problems...;-)

--
Bj?rge S?ther
bjorge@hahaha_itte.no

Re:Using Delphi 2 with delphi 6

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:17:15 GMT, "Bj?rge S?ther"

<bjorge@hahaha_itte.no> wrote:
>"J French" <je...@iss.u-net.com> skrev i melding
>> Personally I would stay away from ActiveX controls regardless !

>Mee, too ! I have only *read* about these potential problems...;-)

'potential' ? - IME 'actual'  ;-(

In article <3c8dd213.3428...@news.u-net.com>, je...@iss.u-net.com wrote:
>Personally I would be very wary of having two versions of Delphi on
>the same machine, also I would be inclined to get the D6 Professional
>- having the source of the VCL is invaluable.

I not only do have D3 and D5 installed on the same machine...I *run* them
both simultaneously!

Never had any problems yet...<crossing fingers>
--
Esther Michaels

.

> Personally I would be very wary of having two versions of Delphi on
> the same machine,

This have never proved to be a problem in the past. I have always had
multiple versions of Delphi on my PC since the release of D2. At one point I
had D1, D2, D3 & D4 on the same PC to support multiple customers. The only
thing to be careful of is the order in which they are installed.

> also I would be inclined to get the D6 Professional
> - having the source of the VCL is invaluable.

I agree. If you wish to do some database work the D6 Pro is a good
investment. If you wish to do personal work with D6 Personal and include
some database like features try saving your data as a CSV file and opening
it in a something like TMS AdvStringGrid which imports CSV files directly.
The trial version is free.

Mike

Other Threads