temp files - Del2.MB and Del2.DB

I have a Delphi5 app that is on a Windows2000 terminal server.  I
recently added a new user and gave them access to the app.  When the
user is logged in as themselves to the windows server and runs the app,
they get error messages like this:

Permission denied
File C:\Program Files\BeaverPlastics\OrderSystem\Del2.MB
Table C:\Program Files\BeaverPlastics\OrderSystem\Del2.DB

File or directory does not exist
File C:\Program Files\BeaverPlastics\OrderSystem\Del2.DB

If I logon as the administrator for the Windows server these errors do
not occur when I run the app.  Why is it looking for these temp files
and how do I fix it??!!  I have tried unistalling the app and
re-installing it and I still get the errors.  Help please!

Re:temp files - Del2.MB and Del2.DB

It sounds like the app is using the startup directory for the private
directory, which is the default behavior, and the user does not have full
rights to the directory.

--
Bill

Re:temp files - Del2.MB and Del2.DB

I'm starting to understand why this is happening, but I'm not sure how to fix
it.  If I have more than one user logging in to the terminal server and
running the app, then I need to assign each user a private directory for the
temp files, is that basically it?  How do I do that?  I have many other users
who don't run the app through terminal server so I don't need to change
anything for them.  How would be the easiest way to do that?  I found this
suggestion by searching the newsgroups, is it a good solution?  Here is the
suggestion: "One way we found to solve this problem  is to create a shortcut
on the desktop for each user under their own profile desktop settings.  When
you create the shortcut, set the working directory for each user's shortcut
to the users profile directory.  The temp files for each user will then be
created in their own directories."  Thanks for your help.
"Bill Todd (TeamB)" wrote:
> It sounds like the app is using the startup directory for the private
> directory, which is the default behavior, and the user does not have full
> rights to the directory.

> --
> Bill
> (TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)

Re:temp files - Del2.MB and Del2.DB

That should work. Since, by default, the private directory is set to the
startup directory you can create a shortcut for each user that uses any
directory that is unique for that user and, thereby, give each user their
own private directory.

--
Bill

Re:temp files - Del2.MB and Del2.DB

As far as I know you can assign all users the right to read/write a specific
directory (including sub-directories)...but I could be wrong :-)

Alistair

Re:temp files - Del2.MB and Del2.DB

Thanks, it worked!
"Bill Todd (TeamB)" wrote:
> That should work. Since, by default, the private directory is set to the
> startup directory you can create a shortcut for each user that uses any
> directory that is unique for that user and, thereby, give each user their
> own private directory.

> --
> Bill
> (TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)

Other Threads